C6 automatic: 4-speed vs. 6-speed?

Hello,

I'm an aspiring Corvette owner that is not much of a gearhead, but I want to learn.

Could someone please explain the advantages (or disadvantages) of a

4-speed automatic vs. a 6-speed automatic? In particular, I'm trying to decide between purchasing a barely used 2005 Z51 or wait to buy a new 2006.

Thanks, JGB

Reply to
JGB

Only you can answer whether or not it is of value to you. That becomes hard to do because they are not that easy to get a dealer to let you drive them. Newer is most always better or they wouldn't have changed it, but then you pay more to get it. Personal opinion is I'd stick to the present 4 speed auto, the present computer control is at its peak, drive it and see how you like it. It is at its best right now and may only be a lesser transmission by and imperceptible amount over the new 6 speed. That small advantage of the 6 speed over the 4 speed should be obvious or you're not into the performance thing enough for it to matter. It does look like they will offer a paddle shifter for another minimal advantage for your trip to the auto show but it should help on the track.

Reply to
Dad

JGB,

One of the big advantages of the 6-speed "Tiptronic" AUTO vs. 4-speed AUTO is the addition of paddle shifters! (Which you can use, or not use, it's a two-mode trans).

- Everything you wanted to know about the 2006 6-Speed Auto trans from a GM Corvette technician:

- Photos and reaction to the first spy shots of the 6-speed AUTO.

-Chaz

Reply to
KillerCorvette

It depends on how your gonna use your car. Use it on the track? Autocross? Daily Driver? If it is a daily driver there is really no need for 6 speed auto or Z51 unless you really want it.

Reply to
benf802961

Hi Chaz,

Thanks for the response and the links.

As a newbie, I'm having a hard time understanding the value of the paddle shifters. I want an automatic because I don't want to have to deal with shifting. If I wanted to shift, I would get a manual. Can someone explain the point of the paddle shifters on an automatic?

JGB

Reply to
JGB

Pointy heads think that because they did it, Chevrolet needs to do it. It's only advantage is that your hands spend more time on the steering wheel if you're racing an automatic.

Reply to
Dad