Dealership structure

As MB is in process of radically reorganising its dealership structure in the UK I am curious if similar things are happening elsewhere.
In Britain many dealerships were franchises and these are being taken over
directly by MB UK, even with name changes. MB claim to be aiming for greater consistency and better quality of service. The number of centres is being reduced but those remaining are being converted to 'supercentres' with bigger showrooms and other facilities to give more of a 'consumer experience'.
DAS --
Ennui Society wrote:

> Hello, > > This might never occur in the United States in most states. The federal > and state laws prohibit the manufacturers from having direct sales > centres of their own.
Seems like a bad law. I have never understood why dealerships need to be owned by middlemen.
.
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:15:20 +0100, "Dori Schmetterling"

This all happened a while ago now, the restructuring process saw the total number of dealerships increase but the total number of dealership owners was decimated, was a real PITA. Block exemption is the big thing at the moment, so many rules and regs to comply with, bet people still end up buying their cars from Tesco....
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
The process certainly started a while ago but is still ongoing. I think it's a case of MB UK taking control/buying dealerships when they become available. I think this was the case of a dealership from which I acquired a vehicle and used for servicing for years: Dartford. The last owner had nobody to whom to pass on the business.
I thought I read somewhere that the aim was also to reduce total numbers but I am happy to stand corrected.
DAS --