E300D ´95 cooling problem?

I have a ´95 124 E300 D aut. (Certified/approved to tow up to 1,9t). Under normal driving circumstances I have no cooling problems - temp. is around

85´C. When I´m towing my caravan (1,3 t) my cooling water temperature immediately increases to 100-120´C. The thermostat is OK (checked) - engine is otherwise OK - not that worn.Normal engine oil consumption. Anybody knows why? Could it be, that the aut. transmission fluid is being cooled (integrated) in the water cooler?

Regards,

Jens

Reply to
Jens Norking

Whenever you do heavy towing it is best to add another transmission cooler... it will extend the life of the transmission and reduce the wear and tear on engine... have you checked if you have enough tranny fluid?

Reply to
Tiger

Pulling a trailer makes the engine consume a lot more fuel and the radiator needs to shed the unused / wasted BTUs in that extra fuel so there's no wonder that the coolant temperature is higher than driving w/o the trailer.

I wouldn't be concerned about it so long as the temp remains below 120 degrees C.

You can clean the radiator's outside with a garden hose and nozzle or remove it and have the inside passages and the outside coils professionally cleaned by a radiator shop.

Of course, the electric radiator fans - which you didn't mention - should run when the coolant temp. exceeds 100 degrees C. Do they?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Yes, the car runs hotter when towing because it's working harder and the Tranny oil most likely does also go through the radiator. If your car has an oil cooler it should open and start cooling the oil at about

110C so as long as your temperature is around there (not over 120C) the car is working correctly.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Is it normal that a diesel engine - even when running in the best torque interval - produces a relative more heat than a gasoline engine?

Reply to
Jens Norking

There is already a standard transmission oil cooler. But it could be an option. it ought to be able to cope with the temperatures. And yes, the tranni fluid is right at the check mark and the colour is also OK.

Could it be the engine oil that needs a cooler. I haven´t checked whether it is equipped with such...

Thanks for the advices

Jens

... have you checked if you have enough tranny fluid?

Reply to
Jens Norking

I know - and agree. I don´t know the abbreviation BTO - please explain :-)

Why not. This is still a pretty high temperature. If I´m going on vacation from Denmark (where I live) to Italy (round 1500 km) it is a lot of engine running hours with a temperature round 30C degrees over the normal.

Agree - some of the inside passages might be blocked. I´ll try to flush and clean the entire cooling circuit in near future just to eliminate this option. Otherwise it needs a new cooler - but from outside it looks in fine condition.

Yes, the normal cooler fan as well as the a/c fan works correctly

Reply to
Jens Norking

Correction: Is it normal that a diesel engine - even when running in the best torque interval - produces a relative more heat than a gasoline engine when under pressure / towing circumstances ?

Reply to
Jens Norking

I also have a Citroen Xantia 2,0i, (gasoline) automatic (no tranny oil cooler). This car hass less torque even at a higher RPM than my Mercedes. The Citroen needs to kick down more often when towing the same caravan/trailer at 85-90 km/h, but the temperature seldom increases - even in hot weather 30´C - with more than 5-10´C.

Anyone with a good explanation on the difference in behaviour between the Cit and the MB??

Jens

Reply to
Jens Norking

This could be the - or one of the - explanations

Thanks

Jens

Reply to
Jens Norking

"Jens Norking" haute in die Tasten:

The Xantia 2.0i 8 valve engine has its maximum torque of 178 NM at 2700 rpm. So it is not very promising to rev higher. Altogether the engine appears less powerful than it is, most Xantia engines have quite a bit more Oomph. I have a Xantia 2.0i and a BMW 325i with 230 NM of Torque and 170 HP. The Xantia feels less powerful than the BMW, but as a matter of fact it is only slightly slower.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper