Glo-plugs on 300D

I am eating glow plugs almost as fast as I can change them...figured it was the controler and changed that .It still eats them.

I am eating glow plugs almost as fast as I can change them...figured it was the controler and changed that .It still eats them.
What year? My mates 1999 300 turbodiesel seems to be going thru a set every 4K miles! I changed the last set and 4 were faulty but there seemed to be no visible damage. He is now on Beru. so we'll seee how this lot last!
Des
I think your relay is constantly on.... therefore buring out your glow plug. TG should know the answer on this topic.
You should test the voltage output by the glow plug... and test it when you turn on the key for warm up... when the light goes off, your glow plug also should go off (I believe, not much experience on diesel yet).
Plus, when your engine is running, the glow plug should also be off.
The glow plugs should receive power for only a brief time, duration depends upon the temperature of the engine block. For sure not beyond 30 seconds in a moderate climate. Suggest you check the voltage to the GPs after the engine has been started and is running, it should soon be zero.
Beru offers a retrofit relay that extends the interval to reduce smoke emissions but, to give you a perspective, its total glow time is about 90 seconds.
All that said, I hope you were installing Beru or Bosch GPs.

Actually, only the older glow plug relays use a temperature sender in the cylinder head. That relay was last used in 1980. The later relays measure ambient air temperature inside the relay.