Glow Plugs

My 97 Jetta TDI with 130K just had the check engine light go on for glow plugs. Should I change all 4? If I only change bad ones how do I identify the bad one(s)? Will my check engine light rest itself or does it need a software reset?

Thanks

-Tim

85 Golf (sold) 97 Jetta TDI 04 Passat 1.8T
Reply to
Tim

I can't answer all your questions, but I would replace all four. You have a 7 year old car with 130K Why not just do it all. Of course that eliminates the question of how to tell which ones. I suspect a simple continuity test would ID the bad ones.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How to test glow plugs:

Best to change all 4 and keep any of the old ones that still work as spares. Why? Because all 4 plugs have seen the same operating conditions and if 1 or more has burned out, the rest may not be far behind.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown