Glow plug test

I think I may have a glow plug out. I have an '83 300sd, and I have some odd colored smoke. It smells like biodiesel, and I think maybe a cylinder is out?
How do I test the plugs, and wires?
I have found glow plugs are easily tested by first removing and then use jumper leads off the battery to individually clamp on the plug body (earth) and the terminal. Polarity doesn't matter for this but keep fingers off the business end as they get mighty hot very quickly if they are working. The duds just don't heat up.
No need to remove them to test it...
There are plenty of guides on internet to show you how to test them with multimeter... mbz.org... dieselgiant.com
Since you got the older MB, if you are still on old style loop glow plug, then you got to test your rsistors that connects between the glow plugs too.
No! He has the quick glow parallel system. The old style series system ended in the late 70's.