HELP - used MB's?

Page 2 of 2
wolfpuppy wrote:

I remember my GF's reluctance when I first took her out to look at some old Benzes. That changed quickly when she drove some of them.
She's now very happy (I just checked) with her '88 willow green w201 that's next to my willow green w124 in the driveway. Of course, the neighbours in their brand new Volvo's think we're slightly nuts to have exchanged our sensible Saab and VW for a couple of old 'taxis' ;)
Ximinez

A car has to be pretty dependable to serve as a taxi. That's why many benzs have been used as such the world over.
wolfpuppy wrote:

Absolute, I meet pre-1990 diesel w124's still serving as taxis every day on the road in Holland. The old Benz-image has also been affected a little because w124's, w123's and w201's are quite popular with Turkish immigrants for some reason.
Ximinez
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

<snip>
I believe the MB Marketing machine did it's work:
"One day, when I grow up, I want to drive a Mercedes!"
Doesn't matter if it's 20 years old.
Cheers, WS
ws wrote:

Worked for me ;)
Ximinez

Funny, my wife has a 1999 S70. Maybe there is some kind of pattern developing here?
Still when she was shopping for it, I was glad she preferred the Volvo to the Toyota's and the Nissans. It's a solid and enjoyable ride, not exciting mind you... That's good because her driving makes me nervous...
TG is of course right in that you should let her decide what to get, as then it will not be your fault when it breaks.
Good Luck, Marty
DJD wrote:

Go for the 1990 300E. Its a mid-series W124, without doubt the W124 is the best MB ever made (I'm on my 4th W124 and cannot fault them). At $1850 , the price seems a long way off low to me in the UK. This would be high to me over here. I've just bought a 1994 7 seat E220 Touring (station wagon) for less than the equivilant of $1500. Start worrying about milage at about 200K if it doesnt have a Full Service History, if it has a F.S.H then no problem. In Nov last year I went to Munich and the taxi I took into the centre of the city was a 1987 230e with over 400K on it. A Quarter of a million european taxi driver cannot be that wrong.
Davor