Need some help..wife about to kill me!

About a month or so ago I replaced the alternator and the starter in my wifes 93 Cabriolet. Since then everything has been fine. We even put a new battery in it. Now, it's dead. No lights, no nothing. I jumped it and it started fine. I ran it for a few minutes, turned it off, restarted fine. It sat for a couple of hours, I went to start it again, dead again. The lights barely come on now but it won't crank over. Seems the battery is not holding a charge. So what's the first thing I should do? I don't really have the tools to test certain connections or the know how. I have the Bently book but it directs me from one chapter to the next and I can't find a section for my exact problem. Help. I need to take care of this myself...my wife is gonna shit! (She didn't trust me with the alternator or starter to begin with but I was trying to save some money.)

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
jbrianchamberlin

dude, you gotta go get yourself a cheap multitester (volt meter, amp meter, ohm meter) they are as cheap as $20 (make sure it has an amp meter -not just milliamps) sounds like you have a drain on your system you can check drain in each circuit by removing fuses and checking amps across the terminals. (set your multitester to amps -not milliamps- first) you can check other larger circuits by disconnecting the wire and putting the multitester in between (to complete the circuit) and see what the amps are.

Reply to
Rick De Visser

See... you should of listened to her before throwing parts at the car. Here's what you need to do:

1-charge the battery which may take overnight. Best thing to do is disconnect the battery cable. 2-Get it running and check the voltage at the battery and it should be in the 13 -13.9 volt range. If so then the charging system is working. 3-Measure the (ma)milliamp draw of the car with everything turned off and key out of the ignition and see what it is. Should be under 50ma. 4-My guess you got something staying on and killing the battery. May be a relay sticking on, trunk light, radio, etc.

Reply to
Woodchuck