Hesitation on hard acelleration with SLK 320 ( R170 )

I've noticed that my SLK 320 has a slight hesitation at around 5000 rpm under hard accelleration.
It does not appear to happen in every gear, mainly third gear I think.
Ideas anyone?
Or could it be the ESP cutting in?
Mark wrote:

Is your air filter likely to be clean?

Good point..
Last service I had was 3000 miles ago, which was the short service by Mercedes. Maybe they didn't do the air filter then!
I'll have a route around to see if I can find the filter.
Thanks,
Mark