ignition problems!!!! help!!! someone

I HAVE 89' 300E...AND I WAS WONDERING WOULD THE WHOLE IGNITION FROM A 88' 260E WORK IN MINE.. I DONT WANT TO GO DIRECTLY TO MERCEDES AND BUY A NEW ONE CAUSE IT WOULD COST
$300.AND I REALLY DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR IT.OR IF THE IGNITION FROM THE 260E DOESNT WORK.. COULD I PUT AN UNIVERSAL IGNITION SWITCH WITH A STARTER BUTTON IN MY CAR..I HAVE THE MANUAL AND DIAGRAMS..BUT I DONT WANNA BUY THE UNIVERSAL ONE UNLESS I KNOW IT COULD WORK..
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING!!
--
MERCEDES RULE!!! I WANT MINE RUNNING!! SO I CAN GET THE LADIES

kodey31869 via CarKB.com wrote:

Why are these the only options? Certainly there must be other cars from salvage yards etc that have working ignition switchs. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you if the 88 260E switch will work. But if not, I would find the right one and not make this into a hack job with a universal switch.
u didnt help me at all..u told me whut i already know and have done...thats dumb..there are no other options..if i had the money i would go get the right ignition..but i dont..and i need my car noww...

MERCEDES RULE!!! I WANT MINE RUNNING!! SO I CAN GET THE LADIES

Idiot.

Ok, if you say so. Actually he is telling you the truth and the best likely solution.

Too bad. You don't really need an ignition at all. Just hook the correct wires together and drive.
Marty
A brand new tumbler keyed to your orignal key via VIN number is not $300... more like $50 for the tumbler.
What is your primary reason why you want to change the entire ignition?
Yes, all W124 is interchangeble.
see thats the thing..we did that...the owner lost the original key..i couldnt get a new key..cuz the car is so old...well the owner thought the only way to get the old tumbler out was to drill it out..cuz they couldnt figure it out.. when they drilled it out..they messed up pieces on the inside..well we didnt know that..i went to mercedes and bought a brand new tumbler and key..i put the tumbler in..and it didnt do anything..it turned freely..somethin was broke on the inside..so i got screwed out of $80..and my only option now is to find a whole new ignition..or put a universal one in..and i got man bringin the 260e switch over tomorro and were gonna try to hook it up.
Tiger wrote:

--
MERCEDES RULE!!! I WANT MINE RUNNING!! SO I CAN GET THE LADIES

I see... MB will always know the key regardless how old the car is...
Did you check the back of the ignition lock assembly? There is a switch back there where there is a big plug of wires attached... if it is loose, then try tightening the three screws if you can pull the plug off...
At this point, if your friend who has the spare lock assembly, is good unit... turn the key and see if it feels normal... if yes, then put your new tumbler into that one.
The key to get the old lock assembly out is that you need to get it to position one... use a screwdriver into the hole with your tumbler out... and try to get it into position one or so... it really doesn't matter as long it is not in off/lock position...
Then you need to loosen the clamp by your steering column... and then you need a straightened stiff cloth wire hanger,,, use the wire and fish it through the front of dash to a detent... that will allow you to pull the whole assembly out... the detent faces your seat and you should be able to feel it with your finger.
Once the detent is pushed in, then you should be able to pull the whole lock out.
By the way, the lock assembly is $120 at the dealer.