Leaks

I have a 1989 MB 560SEL. When I first got it, it ran fine. Now the last

3,000 I've noticed that there is always an oily residue on the bottom of the engine, also noticed an oil smell the car when I shut it down (GET OUT). Also I'm blowing blue smoke out the exhaust every time I accelerate from a stop(red light, turning corner. I really hope this does NOT mean the engine is finally going south on me! Is it hard for a shade tree mechanic (at best, maybe) to replace the head cover gaskets without getting to involved? I have 150,000 miles on the odometer.
Reply to
Bill G.

You have two issues... one is valve cover gasket... You can tell by washing your engine and then see where oily residue came from.

The second issue is your valve seals are gone... which is why you got blue smoke when you accelerate. This job can be done by shade tree mechanic if you got the time and air compressor... big one. Plus you will need the specialized tool ... valve spring compressor.

Where are you located?

Reply to
Tiger

I agree with Tiger, absolutely.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I am in suffolk county, ny.

Reply to
Bill G.

Ahh.. I saw youe optonline.net address...

Reply to
Tiger