License stud mounting tool?

Hi All,
I need to replace some license plate mounting studs on my '98 CLK (the studs used on the trunk lid seem identical to those on my R129), but was told
there is a special MB "insertion tool". Can I accomplish the same thing (expanding the base to secure the stud) by inserting and torquing a stainless-steel bolt until the base is properly expanded, or is the "tool" the only way to do this?
Thanks,
Paul
--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---
Just a screwdriver... nothing special. Get the right bolt/screw from the dealer.
Thanks Tiger, I'll give it a go with some hex-head bolts to expand the inserts. I picked up some stainless steel screws to mount the plate, in hopes of bypassing this situation in the future.
Been a busy afternoon. The driver's door positioner on my R129 ('94 SL) was getting balky, and I discovered the front mounting ears were completely broken off from the sucker (sigh!). It was a real headache to get at, as the door panel (switches etc) and speaker assembly needed to be removed to gain access to it. Only $30 for the replacement, but two hours twittered away changing the blasted thing (20 or 30 minutes of which were spent taking pictures to document the procedure, to make it easier when the other one breaks! :o)
Paul
--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---

I got a '92, 190E that has 3 stripped "mounting sockets" from trying to use allen head mounting bolts, you know with the allen key in the package with four small bolts? Well, these "sockets" that look like small tapered aluminum thimbles, from inside the trunk (boot) defy removal, without sheet metal damage. How were they installed? pressed in at assembly? and can they be removed or renewed without some special tool or machine I would truly HATE to pay one hour labor to replace "licencse plate mounting sockets"
.