license plate screws

I bought a used BMW, and the license plate had screws that are about #14 and are 5/8" long. I need some more, but I can't find them anywhere in the U.S. Any ideas?

Reply to
mike7411

Nowhere in the US? Call the dealer, call a boneyard or check with a good local hardware store.

Reply to
John S.

Got a "nut-and-bolt" house nearby?

Reply to
sdlomi2

They're probably metric. If the outer thread diameter is a round number of mm that's a good bet.

Reply to
nottoooily

If so, & most probably is so, take one to your local Lowe's--I've found they have a good selection of smaller metrics Plus a 'checker', or dies to screw yours into until the correct size is found to tell you what to seek in their sealed plastic bag of 2, or 4, etc. Also, if you just wish to secure plates, select the next largest size SAE tap & tap it to use an SAE screw. hth, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

That is odd.I have owned many vehicles before, including three Volkswagens and one BMW Isetta.I never have had any problems about license plate screws. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yeah, you can buy cards of 4 at almost any auto parts place or hardware store, approximately #14 in size, about 5/8" long, with threads to cut into nylon inserts, probably just like what the OP wanted.

Reply to
Bob M.

If they are "about #14", they are probably 6mm. 5/8 long is a common

16mm length. Look at Lowes, HD, or elsewhere for them. 1mm pitch is most common for 6mm.

COMMENT ... I'd try to get stainless ...

Reply to
GeorgeB

They are M6 X 15. Ace Hardware will stock them, as will any good auto parts store. Use stainless.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Walk around any new car lot and your bound to kick a few that are lying on the ground.

good luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face