84 Mercedes 300TD replace shift light bulb and engine won't shutoff

Help. My engine will not shut off after turning key to off position. I had this problem before and my ex fixed it. Have had car for five yrs. now and it just started again after an oil change. How to fix it? Also, I need to change the bulb in the gear shift. Can't see at night without turning on interior light. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
MTtracy

Vacuum leak... gonna have to search for vacuum leak... TG can tell you where to look and check.

Light to the shifter is done through fiber optic cable... the bulb is in the center dash... U sure you didn't lose any light on your switches?

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger,

Thanks for the help. Who is TG? The only light not working is the shifter lights, all the window buttons are lit up and the hazard light which I presume are located in the same area.

Reply to
MTtracy

TG Lambach is one of the regular contributor here... He has the most experience in diesel engine Mercedes.

Try something when your engine doesn't shut off... by locking the door or unlocking... does the engine shuts off when you do this?

Reply to
Tiger

Greetings,

Sometimes the guys bump the vacuum line in the engine compartment when they change the filter. Look for a loose piece of plastic tubing that is NOT connected. Hook it up and try it. Happened to me once...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Thanks for all the help.

I did try locking and unlocking the doors, shutting off air, still won't shut off. Have looked and can't find any loose hoses. Removed air filter pan to look under there and didn't see anything either.

Reply to
MTtracy

Thanks for all the help.

I did try locking and unlocking the doors, shutting off air, still won't shut off. Have looked and can't find any loose hoses. Removed air filter pan to look under there and didn't see anything either.

Reply to
MTtracy

I have an amazing mechanic (German-trained Master mechanic and electrician) who traced this problem to a short, leaky vacuum line under the dash. Didn't charge me for the vacuum pump kit he'd ordered. Old line--connected, but sucking air. Problem solved.

Reply to
aha

Shift light bulb is NOT fibre optics. Those are sunroof array. I own the identical car. Take out the ashtray and unscrew its metal holder, slide the wood console rearward, and lift up to expose the shifter. Just to the left side of the N for Neutral there are wires with a black plastic cover and holder for the bulb. Pry cover gently out with screw driver. Bingo.

Reply to
aha