Mercedes 220 D

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for opinion about Mercedes 220 D/ no cdi/ 1998 r - 70 kw. What do you think about the engine? Is it not too week for that auto ? pozdr

--
U¿ywam programu pocztowego Opery: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Add pictures here
✖

220CDI C Class? It's good for 238km/h, good enough for any kind of driving in Poland.
cp
Add pictures here
✖
cp wrote:

I can`t see him referring to a certain series so it might be C-Class sedan or T-model or E-Class sedan.
You refer to the current C-Class W203 (next year successor W204 will come), which has a 110 kw/150 PS CDI-engine.
Sedan 6-speed manual trans Vmax 180 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,1 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 218 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,3 s
Only W203 C-Class model with Vmax 238 km/h is C230 with 7G-TRONIC
Juergen
Add pictures here
✖
cp wrote:

I can`t see him referring to a certain series so it might be C-Class sedan or T-model or E-Class sedan.
You refer to the current C-Class W203 (next year successor W204 will come), which has a 110 kw/150 PS CDI-engine.
Sedan 6-speed manual trans Vmax 224 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,1 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 218 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,3 s
Only W203 C-Class model with Vmax 238 km/h is C230 with 7G-TRONIC
Juergen
Add pictures here
✖
I, very sorry about a mess I caused. I meand w202 / 1998/ c-class with automatic gear. I'll be very greatfull for opinion people who are using it. pozdr tolo
--
U¿ywam programu pocztowego Opery: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Add pictures here
✖
Tolo wrote:

No mess, no reason to apologize!

_I_ - and I can only speak for ME - do NOT find the engine is too weak for the car _under normal driving conditions_.
In case you fully load the car, tow a trailer and live in the mountains, I would definitely choose a more powerful engine. Maximum speed on Polish Motorways is 130 km/h so 170+ km/h should be enough for that.
Juergen
Add pictures here
✖

From experience, 130km/h in Poland is only safe on a train =) (I'm polish, or at least used to be, ha!)
cp
Add pictures here
✖

Mostly you're right, but it depends where do you live and drive.
--
U¿ywam programu pocztowego Opery: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Add pictures here
✖

But I have to admit, we polaks are good drivers, maybe when we have more money we'll have Schumachers of our own... Schumanskis ;-)
cp
Add pictures here
✖
Yes. I was on a road north out of Warsaw a few weeks ago (albeit in a -- good -- taxi) and I am sure we exceeded 130 km/h at times without a problem.
DAS
"Tolo" < snipped-for-privacy@o2.pl> wrote in message
✖

Well, the speedo said ~237km/h, from Hannover to Berlin =) does Mercedes exagerate their speedos as well? I hear Audi and others do...
cp
Add pictures here
✖
Your question is a good one - is this 2.2L diesel powerful enough for this car.
Depends on the car's use. If most driving is in a city it should be fine. Power is needed for rapid acceleration, passing and hill climbing, so if these are your driving conditions I would suggest you test drive it that way to see, first hand, if its power is adequate or whether a larger, or CDI, motor would be a better choice.
Top speed is not the issue, it's the time needed to reach its top speed.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh its acceleration to typical highway speed is quite good
cp
Add pictures here
✖
Tolo wrote:

If it is an E-Class, then 1998 = W210 (pre-MOPF) 70 kw = 95 PS, non-CDI diesel
Sedan only with that engine 5-speed manual trans Vmax 180 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,0 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 177 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,4 s
If it`s an C-Class, then 1998 = W202 MOPF 70 kw = 95 PS, non-CDI diesel
Sedan 5-speed manual trans Vmax 175 km/h 0-100 km/h = 16,3 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 172 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,4 s
T-model 5-speed manual trans Vmax 172 km/h 0-100 km/h = 16,6 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 170 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,0 s
Of course they`re no race-cars, but I can`t see why they should be too weak/slow for normal driving.
But of course that`s an opinion only from a guy who once drove for years (in city) 55 PS automatic W123 sedans, Vmax 125 km/h, 0-100 km/h 33,2 s ...
Juergen - now faster with 1982 240D auto, 138 km/h, 24,7 s ;-))
Add pictures here
✖
17 seconds???!!! to 100 Kmh? Isn't that a tad slow?
Add pictures here
✖
Tiger wrote:

Depends on your view...
How long does a UPS truck need for 0-100 km/h?
Are they ever late because of their trucks?
How important is acceleration for the time needed to go from A to B under normal driving conditions?
How important is acceleration in a traffic jam?
How important is acceleration when the car is parked?
Not that I don`t have cars faster than the 240D, but I can't remember ever to have been late because of the car used.
But of course a 95 PS car is not _fast_ - but when one needs a _fast_ car I recommend at least 230 PS in a C-Class, preferably a C55 AMG with 270 kw/367 PS.
Juergen
Add pictures here
✖

American mindset. We got rednecks around here burning rubber just 'cause they can.
cp
Add pictures here
✖
LOL... I don't know... I was thinking of how fast American drivers are on highway... and you are trying to accelerate to meet that speed of usually 75 MPH... Ya know... you don't want to get rear ended by stupid drivers.
Add pictures here
✖

"Rear-ended by stupid drivers?" It's the responsibility of the merging driver to match the speed of traffic in the right lane. (Which only makes sense. After all, they were there first.)
This is something of a sore subject for me. Many drivers here in Collyfornia don't know how to merge properly. Instead of making use of the on-ramp to acceleratate to traffic speed, they'll dodder onto the freeway at 45-50 miles per hour with no regard to the speed of the traffic that's bearing down on them. That has the effect of conditioning people to avoid the right lane, which increases traffic density in the remaining lanes.
(Then there's the way the right lane keeps disappearing due to lane merges and its becoming an exit-only lane, but that's a gripe for another day.)
Geoff
--
"That's very interesting, Mr. Lovecraft, and very well put too,
I might add, but I think we're looking for something a little
Tiger wrote:

[...]
It isn't a matter of being late or not, but of being able to accelerate at a rate that's compatible with the flow of traffic. Who wants to be (let alone drive behind) a rolling roadblock?
There's also the need to be able to merge onto the freeway safely. I remember a road test of the 220D in one of the major American car magazines (I believe it was _Car And Driver_) circa 1973. The car's zero-to-sixty (mph) time was an appalling *28 seconds.* And mind you, that was when even the emissions-control-strangled cars of the time could typically reach 60 in about 1/3 as long.
Geoff