C-220 CDI Poor handling

Is it just me, or do others feel that the current C220 CDI with the standard SE 15 inch wheels and Goodyear tyres is a liability when going around corners, especially in the wet?

Previously had a 2001 C200K with 16 inch alloys and Pirelli P6000's. It handles and cornered like a dream. Occasionally the ESP triangle would show but the car would keep in line even if provoked. The back end of the replacement 2004 C220 CDI will step out of line even in the dry, then the ESP flashes.... after you've lost it!

I've put poor handling down to higher profile tyres and the car being more nose heavy with the heavier diesel engine. But can't really believe it is so much worse the the the previous one.

Any thoughts or comments most welcome.

Neil C220 CDI SE (Auto) UK

Reply to
Neil Lawson

My mechanics rotated the tyres and didnt bother to equalise the pressure to the correct settings. Now that the pressures are correct the car handles and rides totally differently.

Other than that ..... I will admit that the ride of the 15" wheels is much more relaxed and unforgiving compared to a high spec sports wheel. Its not that they are handling poorly but rather that they have a totally different limit.

Reply to
Miro

Its not

Agree, problem is I have found the limit a couple of times recently. Will double check tyre pressures.

Reply to
Neil Lawson