Mercedes 300E High hydrocarbon

Page 1 of 2
I have a 1990 Mercedes 300E. Have 225000 km. I changed spark plugs, dist. cap. rotors, ignition wires, cleaned air filter, put in injector cleaner and drove the car for over 300 km.
Checked vaccum lines best I could. Engine light does not come on. I took it for emmision test and it failed on hydro carbon. Limit is 59 ppm and the car has 114 ppm. Can any one help as to what else I should check? Thanks Sheel
I have a 1990 Mercedes 300E. Have 225000 km. I changed spark plugs, dist. cap. rotors, ignition wires, cleaned air filter, put in injector cleaner and drove the car for over 300 km. Checked vaccum lines best I could. Engine light does not come on. I took it for emmision test and it failed on hydro carbon. Limit is 59 ppm and the car has 114 ppm. Can any one help as to what else I should check? Thanks Sheel

I think this is measuring the oil leaking into the combustion chamber... You can try running mobile 1 instead of regular oil, if you aren't doing that yet. I have heard that reduces HC emissions (don't know for sure).
Let us know...
I have a 1990 Mercedes 300E. Have 225000 km. I changed spark plugs, dist. cap. rotors, ignition wires, cleaned air filter, put in injector cleaner and drove the car for over 300 km. Checked vaccum lines best I could. Engine light does not come on. I took it for emmision test and it failed on hydro carbon. Limit is 59 ppm and the car has 114 ppm. Can any one help as to what else I should check? Thanks Sheel

    are you burning any oil? How often do you have to add oil? I had much the same problem on my '89 300e and did as you above except now I also had the valve seals replaced since I was burning oil.... will be doing emission soon.... sorry I can't help yet
cheers, guenter

I have to put a liter every 2000-2500 km. How much did your valve seat job cost?

    Does not appear terribly excessive... are you burning oil mostly when driving at freeway speeds? or just tooling around town. If the former, then seals may be worthwhile I'd think. Had the dealer in town do it.... can't remember off hand how much it was, but pretty sure it was just a few hundred or thereabouts (Canadian, that its). It's the 'bookprice' so not much choice
cheers, guenter

Mostly tooling around. I am in Canada (Waterloo, Ontario) as well. Did you get it done by Mercedes dealer?

small world, I'm in Waterloo also and went to our dealer on Victoria. The mechanic who does this repair is excellent.
cheers, guenter

    meant to add, high speed oil consuption (large amounts beyond that normally observed at lower speeds) tends to point to valve seal problems - at least from my limited understanding, those more knowledgeable may correct me on that. do remember that supposedly 1l/1kkm is 'supposedly' within factory spec.....
cheers, guenter
Especially considering we're talking near-village here... ;-)
I mean, it's not like LA, from where half the participants of this NG seem to come...
DAS
"Guenter Scholz" < snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:edl8r6$dp4$ snipped-for-privacy@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...
...on the other hand, most Canadians live in walking distance of the US border and most of those live in southern Ontario...
DAS

Not quite, but 1/3 of canada lives in the toronto area (1.5 hrs from the border) and 90% of Canada lives within 100 miles of the US border.
The Toronto area is the largest local dialing area in the world.
And MArseilles is the second largest seaport in France. Trivial Persuit anyone?
Largest in area or population? (Must be former since Paris, Cairo and London, to name but three, have bigger populations than GTA.)
And then, are you counting all area codes: 905, 416 etc?
If so, what is the biggest local dialling area ON A SINGLE AREA CODE?
The way things are going, whole countries will be on a single call rate, making them very big local dialling areas...
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:edn1t0$otg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...

Area, or rather distance.

When I heard this, and it was a few years back, all of tornoto and environ was 416. Now that they've moved a bunch of things into 905 it may not be true any more. But I don't relaly know.

Fair enough. I pay $18/mo to Bell and get virtually unlimited North America wide long distance free.

Ironically I moved from Waterloo to Los Angeles in 1979 but was born in the UK.
Even more ironically I only drove Subarus in LA.
"The world is not only small, it is also ironic."
Discuss.
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:edn1kc$otg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...
Guenter,
I did my emission at Oil Changers on Victoria and Fredrick first time it failed with HC at 69. Second time I took it after changing ignition parts but surprisingly HC jumped to 113. I had replaced all ingition parts. ( all Bosch plugs, dist. cap, wire set and rotor) I put Bosch platinum plugs instead of regular Bosch H9DC. Can not understand why the HC got worst after changing ignition parts. I found that Canadian Tire can get you Bosch parts at almost half the price that Victoria Star charges. I had priced them @ Victoria Star for above for $692.35 where as at Canadian Tire, I paid only $347.80 both including taxes. You just have to give them Bosh part number easily attainable from the internet. I am still thinking where to take my car for diagnostics. Cheers Neil

Bingo! there's part of your problem. Platinum plugs. Throw them away and replace with the Bosch H9DC (or any other copper plug for that matter). The platinums have resistance build in. Older engines have the resistance in the distributor and the plug connector. This extra resistance can change the quality and/or timing of the spark significantly, as you found out.

you can do even better, go to Parts Source on Weber near University.

Neil, MOST important is that after you change your plugs, you get the engine good and hot (ie the catalysts) and get the measurement done 'immediately' after you stop driving. Go for a run out to St.Jacob and make sure the testing station will take you immediately after (possibly leave car in 3rd gear :-)
good luck, guenter