Mercedes 300E A/C Relay location

Where can I find this elusive item? Also, does this control whether or not the fan motor will spin? I had to replace the fan motor beacue it was squeaking, then stopped. But, after a new motor and regulator, I still get no fan.

Thom

1989 300E
Reply to
Thom

The A/C Klima relay only controls the compressor. I don't remember if '89 uses a separate Klima relay. I don't think so. I believe '89 uses a MAS relay. [MAS is Motor Aggregate System] MB combined the fuel pump relay and Klima relay into one big $$$ unit. Open your hood and release the stops so it stands straight up. Remove the plastic cover between the battery and the firewall. You will see a few things back there..... The two largest are the FI control unit and the ABS control unit. Do you see any slightly-larger-than a pack of smokes? Black and standing up? Or a larger one with a turn knob on top? If a turn knob, that is the MAS relay. If

2 small ones, one will say RPM on it; that is the fuel pump relay. And the other will say Klima.

But neither control the blower. Your '89 should have the aux fuse holder on top of the drivers strut mount. It will have a 30 amp strip fuse in it. It is probably cracked......

Reply to
Karl

Ahh, so there is another fuse beside the one in the fusebox? I will look for it. I sure hope that is it.

Reply to
Thom

You da MAN, Karl. It would be nice if I could've found this thing before summer started.

Question, do you see any issues with replacing this strange fuse link with a new fuse block and a more standard fuse?

Thanks again,

Thom with AC again.

Reply to
Thom

Yes, there is a problem. That is a 30a strip fuse, slow blow. The blower motor pulls way over 30 amps when starting. MB originally used a 25 amp fuse in the main fuse box and it was melting and setting the fuse box on fire! Put an ammeter in instead of that fuse and run the blower at high speed. You will see 32 amps!!!

Reply to
Karl

Slow blow, huh? Nice to know.

Maybe I can find one locally. The shipping on the thing is much more than the price.

Reply to
Thom