Mercedes 'C' Class, what are they like?

This week I am going to be visiting some Mercedes car show rooms to have a good look at the Mercedes 'C' class vehicles here in the UK, as I am thinking of changing my old 16yr old Saab to a Merc next November
2006.
I would like any comments from anyone who has driven one of these car's regarding there performance, and also what are the maintance cost's/ petrol consumption like.
Looking at some of the Mercedes web sites I like the fact that you get a 12 month warrenty on repairs, and also the wing mirrors that can be folded in.
Regards.
                Andy
Last week I rented a Saab 9-3. I was disappointed to find it quite tinny. Plasticky dashboard You will probably find a Merc much more solid. The Volvo S60 I had the other week was much better, too.
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@bluestone-it.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:52:47 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

We switched in 2002 to a C320S Wagon after 2 9-3s and I am very happy with it. More relaxed driving when you want it and equally sporting/agressive when you want that but without any turbo lag. Since I had no service issues with the Saabs or the MB, that's not an issue nor is the fuel economy as I average just under 25mpg for mixed city/country driving.
Kal
I have a 2002 W203 C Class 220CDI Saloon and I find the driving very relaxed and comfortable, once you get used to the solid type seats. The speed limiter and cruise control make both speed cameras and motorway travel far less stress full.
Do you intend to do your own servicing or have it done at the dealerships? They can be expensive to service, my last B Service cost in excess of 500.00.
snipped-for-privacy@bluestone-it.co.uk wrote:

I intend to let the Merc dealer do the main servicing, although I know how to do the small jobs like checking and toping up the antifreeze and oil. The cost of the average servicing 500 that you mentioned sounds about the same chgs that my Saab dealer use to chg me for a full service. Looking at the Merc web site I notice that you can extend the warrenty for another year, and they also do these service contracts which I will look into more closely.
Regards.
            Andy.
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:17:13 GMT, John Schofield

The Merc-owned dealers (London, B'ham, M'chester) are running a scheme for >3-yr cars that includes free MoT tests and discounts on servicing. Thus my last B service cost less than GBP 500 (I have a 2001 CLK Cab - even bought it abroad but it's treated the same.)
Also got a free MoT test for our 1993 190E this year...
I cannot remember the exact name of this scheme (I keep the papers in the car) but I reported on it here earlier this year.
Are you anywhere near any of these metro areas? I don't know what the independents are doing to compete.
DAS
"John Schofield" < snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:ZeAkf.13565$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
Further to that below I forgot to mention the oil burner of mine easily returns a weekly average of 42mpg going to and from work daily, 250miles in total and recently on a longer trip with three up and luggage returned close to 50mpg.
Not so good around town though down to 25mpg.
John
John Schofield wrote:

Also has an optional extra Parktronic parking system that has lights as well as an audio signal. The lights indicate increasing proximity. Less important in a saloon but in my limited-rear-visiblity CLK Cab it is a must.
I think a Merc is far nicer than a Saab after my (disappointing) experience of a rented Saab 9-3 last week. My colleague (from Canada), who also drove it, was very robustly negative. His current car is a VW Touareg and his previous a BMW X5.
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@bluestone-it.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Yes I have noticed how the Merc dealers seem to give a lot more discounts/schemes then my Saab dealers have ever done, one of the reasons that attracted my eye to Mercs is that you seem to get more features with these cars then with Saab's for the same sort of price.
I currently live in West Sussex and this Tuesday will be visiting the Chichester and Southampton main dealers, as looking at their web sites they have some C class vehicles in my price range that I am interested in looking at.
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 12:18:25 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

My C320CDI is v. quick

used to race Porsche in SCCA races. Mileage is about 25mpg on the highway. Not too good in town. We only have 18,000 mi and so far the relyability has been very good. Only had one time when the sun roof got out of synch with the control knob. If the maintaince costs stay reasonable in the future, I will be well satisfied. Ofcourse my 4 year free maintaince is over now.
Bob
Following my day trip to the Southampton Merc Dealership to have a look at the Merc's there I am definitely sold on the idea of eventually purchasing a 'C' class Mercedes, people there are really nice got the brochure and there current stock list. So hopefully in about a years time from now will be in a position to trade in my old Saab and purchase a Merc.
                Andy