What are E Class diesels like?

1995-2002 models? Quite like the E300. Not thinking of selling the rangie just yet unless something breaks or I get a really decent offer for an offroader, but it looks to be the next "sensible" car when I get bored or something pricey gives up.

Looks old and modern at the same time and used prices and mileages for an early one appear to be in my bracket for keepers rather than getting bored cars. I guess it would make more sense for the commute too.

Reply to
Elder

If you get shot of the Rangie already, SteveH is gonna use the whole world's bandwidth with the "I told you so"'s hehe :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Well, we mostly did say it was a bad idea.....

'Drives OKish, idling is a problem, but biggest bugbear is the acceleration. I should replace the rev counter with an egg timer. It would be more practical.

It is ok on a cruise, the leather seats are comfy, the auto box makes traffic easy, and even the lifted suspension is useful, I'm up there with the trucks.

But it is so slow and noisy(not in a good way), I'm getting sick of holding up traffic. Shame really in a way I do like it, but it might need to go back on the bay once idling cleanly.'

Reply to
SteveH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

95-98 ones rust like an early Alfasud parked in a bucket of sulphuric acid. 98-02 ones seem much better - Mercedes also upped the anti-rust warranty from 6 years to something insane on the later ones.

E220 CDi - goes well, is very cheap to run. E270 CDi - goes better, still very cheap to run E300 TurbD - goes like f*ck, not as cheap to run

Trust me, you won't enjoy something like an E class now you've had a Rangie. Your next large car has to be either an XJ8 or Bentley Turbo R.

Rangies ruin you like that, why else do you think I've ended up with so many of the bloody things over the years?

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f1g89g$8g2$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

I'm not entirely sure XJ8s are that much better than XJ40s. I've yet to drive it, but the interior isn't especially impressive, and it seems if anything a bit less quite and wafty with its lower profile tyres etc.

Reply to
Doki

You'll enjoy it and if I sell, someone else will get a proper off road toy.

Reply to
Elder

I tend to go stupid, then semi sensible, then stupid then semi sensible=20 large auto diesel is probably about as practical as I can handle. And=20 probably perfect for my needs. I can't help wondering if that =A3750 W126= =20 I passed on would have been better even if it was petrol.

A late hard-dash 3.9 with a proper certified install and standard height=20 suspension will probably appear sometime in my future.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

na you need an lexus LS 400 i think :)

Reply to
Vamp

I actually would like one. If it was on LPG and certified I would consider it. But they didn't make a diesel and my next "sensible" car needs to be a diesel. A GS300 on is actually quite tempting, even though it isn't half as "excessive" as I would normally try for.

Reply to
Elder

All the cheap ones are rusty and have 12 years worth of parking scars on the corners and flanks.

Been tempted many times.

Then looked at a few.

Then walked away very easily indeed.

More money spent on a GS300 would be a far better idea.

I like the idea of the E300 Tubodiesel.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

In news:f1g998$adp$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org, Doki wittered on forthwith;

I've driven many of both, the XJ8 is /much/ nicer to drive than the XJ40 - and the XJ40 is a nice enough car. The V8 is simply brilliant, the auto box in the '8 is sublime, the ride / handling on the '8 is just about perfect and the build quality is leagues ahead of the '40.

Naturally, the XJR is the one to have, but Carl and an XJR is just a huge bill waiting to happen..

Reply to
Pete M

A late W124 with the same engine as the E300TD would be a better option. At least the W124 is a proper old-school Merc.

Reply to
SteveH

Indeed, although I'd probably look for a 300D (ie, not the estate) as the estates are massively sought after.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

LOL yeah, I can see that. Tempted, but not totally crazy.

Reply to
Elder

30 years IIRC.

Very true. I tried an E-class after having two Jaguars. It was a damned disappointment, by comparison with Rangie or Jag interiors the E-class is vile. Roughly on a par with the ST series Mondeo.

By comparison with the (alloy) XJR there's nothing in the Mercedes range to match. The difference in build quality and performance is astonishing. The Jag really is the better car in every respect.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It was a tossup mentally between cheaper old, or more expensive newer, the missus would like the newer shape, and it should have les miles on it, but the older should actually be more reliable and more my cup of tea.

We'll see.

Reply to
Elder

The age difference would be sod-all. Unless you're feeling rich these days and looking at a post-98 model.... which you'd have to, really, 'cos the early ones rot like f*ck, as Pete said.

Reply to
SteveH

True, a 94/95 124 last of the line will be pretty much sorted while the newer early E300 would be sorting out the bugs still I guess, like every new model.

Reply to
Elder

Neighbour has recently flogged his and bought a new E class 320Cdi. (slight lunacy)

He had a '99 E300 td auto which he'd had from new on an S plate. It was serviced whenever it asked for it at the local MB dealer. Generally to work and back and several longer hauls.

Sold with 180k on the clock. Engine was smokey and noisy, misfired from cold. Autobox was on its last legs, several seconds to engage drive and excessive slurring between changes. I very much doubt it would have reached

200k. Rusty front and rear arches. It went through the auction and made £2200.

Then again MB were very renowned for having cut the quality on these cars.

Your call.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

But then Diesel means an X-Type or a DIY diesel XJ conversion doesn't it?

Reply to
Elder