Mercedes E320 or Lexus GS300 (New in March of 2005)

I have a dilemma. I've long been an admirer of Mercedes, engineering and rock solid reputation for reliability. But as I move closer to making the
decision (and I am doing the homework) I am hearing things that are making me hesitate. Friends, people I talk to at the gas station about their Mercedes and comments on the web are all suggesting that the new vehicles are much less than reliable, it is hard to get a service appointment with a lead time of less than 2 or 3 weeks and in several instances vehicles have been damaged at the dealer and they have refused to accept responsibility (one owner had a driver side mirror broken and Mercedes tried to charge him $500). A reoccurring comment is that Mercedes is definitely not a car you want to own AFTER the warranty expires and since I'm going to buy - not lease, with the intention of owning the car for a number of years this is troubling. I've owned two Lexus's in years past and each was in the shop just once (which is a marked contrast to the Volvo S80T that I currently own which was in the shop 15 times in the first 16 months).
I'd appreciate it if you folks could take a few minutes and give me the straight and skinny.
Duffy snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net
Jeff,
I owned a 1990 300E for 11 years, purchased new. I loved the fact that it was a Mercedes, but the fact is that far too many things broke on the car. It never left us stranded, but I think the maintenance bills were rediculous for a car of its "quality". I bought a 2002 GS300 new. It has 21,000 miles on it and has been flawless. You take it in to be serviced and they give you a new Lexus as a loaner car. Mercedes makes great cars, but Lexus beats them hands down, no contest, for quality. By the way, lest the Mercedes-only crowd tries to jump on me, I bought a 92 300SL about 18 months ago, 87,000 miles. So far, I've spent $4500 fixing things that really shouldn't be broke, e.g., tranny, air conditioning evaporator, radiator. I love the car, but a transmission should last longer than 85K miles.
Good luck with your Lexus.

If you really don't want to have to fix your car all the time, stay with Lexus. But don't buy the MB unless you are willing to put up with REALLLLY GREEDY STUPID shops. And the car will need lots of service. Wish it weren't so, but even the car mags won't recommend the S class cars because they are not reliable.
mcbrue sadly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
Lexus does not compare to Mercedes on the highway. Unfortunately Lexus is clearly superior in reliability.

Consider the expensive JAP spare parts in long term running.

-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth. Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy, reduce oven to 325. Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together then poke holes in top. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.
Sudden Infant Death Soup
SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup. Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and he?s good to go)!
SIDS victim, cleaned cup cooking oil Carrots onions broccoli whole cabbage fresh green beans potato turnip celery tomato stick butter 1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)
Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil. Add a little water, season, then add the carcass. Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick. Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.
Offspring Rolls
Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best
of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...
2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh 1 cup shredded cabbage 1 cup bean sprouts 5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped 5 cloves minced garlic 4-6 ounces bamboo shoots Sherry chicken broth oil for deep frying (1 gallon) Salt pepper soy & teriyaki minced ginger, etc. 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water 1 egg beaten
Make the stuffing: Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove. Stir-fry the vegetables. Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning. De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol. Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes. Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick,

Wow! Both offensive and completely dumb! Good job!