ML500

I have read and heard horror stories regarding the reliability or lack thereof of the ML series. I just purchased a 2003 ML500 and I have had no problems, but I am getting
uneasy as the miles mount. Can anyone in the group confirm or deny these stories?
Regards Mark
No, my father have a ML 500 V8 european edition and he haven't problem...

That was very true of the early (1998-1999) MLs, particularly the ML320. The newer versions appear to have most of the "bugs" worked out. We have an ML500 and are very pleased, and had an ML430 before that with very few problems.
chuck
They are certainly founded. Here, a 2000 owner just won a small court claim against M-B and its dealer for troubles. She had to return to the dealer 30 times in 18 months. Hopefully, it is the minority.

Everything you'll get here is anecdotal. Consumer Reports is the only hard data we have and it is not good. The ML is below average, although not as bad as the X5. The later models seems to be doing better, but they're still a far cry from a Toyota or Honda.
But cars with good repair histories tend to continue to have good experiences, partly because the car itself was better screwed together, but partly because the owner is driving and maintaining it properly. If your ML500 is doing well, then I'd keep driving it unless you have another reason to get something else. You'll take a heck of a beating if you sell it after a year. IOW, the time to be uneasy is before you buy, not after.
- Mark
I work at a MB dealership and the ML`s are crap...... they aren`t a 4 wheel drive for taking off road.... only used for parking on the footpath....
brett....