New battery labor $150 500SL

Battery $150.00 Labor 1.5 Hours $150.00 Total $300.00 plus tax.
How can the high labor at a local garage cost to replace a battery on this car be justified ?
They wouldn't or couldn't explain why it would take more that 1 hour to replace the battery.
I am going to check prices at the MB dealer.
If a connection to a computer is required because the battery is temporarily disconnect why not connect another battery to the system so the power to the car never gets interrupted ?
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 3, 11:02 am, John wrote:

One way would be if you brought the car in for some electrical problem and it wasn't clear from minute zero that the battery just needed to be replaced. Like maybe they spent half the time diagnosing the problem.
Which gets to the issue of why if it was just a straight battery replacement you'd go to a local gararge and why you would not get a price up front. Don't know where you are, but around here I'd typically check out battery prices online at Autozone, Advanced Auto, PEP boys, etc and then get it done there, typically for free.

That is rather unusual. Usually they can come up with some explanation. How far did you escalate it? Did you talk to the owner? If you feel they really screwed you, you can sue them in small claims court for the $50. Not worth it from the money aspect and you may not have much of a case, but sometimes tryng to prove a point is worth it.

That should be interesting.

Hmmm. Now I'm wondering if after the battery went in they had some problem resetting some system, alarm, radio, etc so that it worked again and that took more time?
Add pictures here
✖
Yes. The other day my car was in for a service at my local Merc dealer. I had also asked them to specifically check the battery -- which appeared to be near flat and not able to hold much charge, or otherwise faulty -- and they also took time to look for factors which might be draining the battery. That is a wise precaution, methinks, especially if a new battery was to be inserted.
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
Add pictures here
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:02:09 -0400, John wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 12, 11:27 am, John wrote:

What did that battery cost at the dealer versus other alternatives? Battery is the last thing I'd buy at the MB dealer. Around these parts, NYC area, you can get any battery you want at auto parts stores, etc at good prices and many of them will test old batteries and install new ones for free.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:10:17 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I got it at the dealer because the original lasted 7 years and the price outside was only $25.00 less. $150 versus $175. I am sure MB doesn't make batteries but they must select good ones.
Add pictures here
✖
Sure. Bosch, I expect, at least in Europe. If you know the brand you can shop around.
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
Add pictures here
✖

Yes but the Bosch places I have located didn't sell batteries for cars . Only for small tools.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes but purchasing from a unknown manufacturer and one that produces batteries for MB I preferred to pay the extra $25.00
Add pictures here
✖
Sure, but can't you get a named brand battery from one of those shops?
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
Add pictures here
✖

Too late for that . I have installed the"MB" battery and it's working fine. By the way, they call it a starter battery. The car has a larger one for all other functions.
Add pictures here
✖
OK. I have had both situations in the sense that a (national) breakdown service had to start me up once and they also had to supply a new battery, which I let them do. It was some reputable brand - they could not afford to install anything inferior/below spec, especially as they were also guaranteeing the work.
Similarlay had new battery put in by a Merc workshop.
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
Add pictures here
✖
On Friday, August 3, 2012 11:02:09 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

Most repair shops, I work at the Factory authorized Dealer, charge "flat rate" prices from a chart by vehicle model and repair description. Virtually no one clocks actual time on a repair. Some repairs take less time than charged some more. No one itemizes the other costs involved in any given repair transaction ie the overhead expenses but for a business to continue they must turn a profit.
Always get an estimate for approval prior to repairs and then decide if it's fair or not.
Add pictures here
✖