New Chrysler Dreamcar: Engine by Mercedes

Some time ago there was a thread in this forum questioning wether the engine in the new Chrysler super concept car (can't remember its name right now) was provided by Mercedes or not. The latest issue of german
car mag auto motor sport says: yes. The engine is based on a Mercedes S 600 V12 turbocharged engine with two single overhead cams and three valves per cylinder. Its overwhelming power and torque is a result from traditional tuning done by Mercedes owned AMG and from 4 instead of 2 turbochargers. The engine was taken from Mercedes, because "Chrysler did not have a suitable engine at hand".
Question of wether to built a series of this car will be answered as soon as the actual market demand is being determined.
Frank

Frank Kemper wrote:

I would like to help Chrysler out by letting them know that I would like one.
I would probably need a 100 year zero interest loan too.
.
The ME 412 is still a concept, but Daimler-Chrysler has announced that it will put into production, later in 2004, the supercharged AMG SLK C32 engine (240 hp) into the Crossfire and call it the SRT-6.
So long as they don't ask many of the North American correspondents of this group as 240 hp would be inadequate for them...
;-) DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

That is very true but I think the original poster was a bit on the low side of the actual horsepower rating for that engine.
Personally I think the strategy of using time tested high quality Mercedes components in Chrysler products is a very wise one. Mercedes buyers cannot complain of brand dilution since the components tend to be previous generation.
.
Tasten:

Some years ago Mercedes officially founded its Powertrain division, where they began to market engines, gearboxes, suspension and steering systems, brakes and axles. IIRC this division back the nonly was dealing with light and heavy truck/coach components. But maybe they soon will also start to sell passenger car components to every company which is interested;-)
Frank