Odd air conditioning behaviour

The A/C on my '95 E320 has started to act up a bit. The compressor shuts down if it is parked for a while in a hot location or if it has to sit for a
while at a stop light when it is hot outside. If I then drive for a few miles, turn the car off, and then turn the car back on, the A/C will work perfectly. Note that the air conditioning will not work unless I completely turn the car off and then back on - turning off/on the AC has no affect. I have had the freon evacuated/recharged and the spyglass for the freon looks clear (no bubbles).
Josh
Our car has a diagnostic capability so dealer can download what is wrong with it and fix it accordingly. I still suspect the refrigerant issue... when compressor running, it should be around 25 to 30 PSI... the aux fan should be coming on and off too.
How would pressure explain why it works fine if I turn off/on the car, but just turning off/on the AC has no affect? FWIW, I did have the pressure checked a month or so ago when it was evacuated and recharged.

Because if the safety switch reset.