air conditioning

The air conditioning on my 92 Camry no longer seems to work. I'd appreciate any feedback on what could be wrong and the cost to fix it. Thanks

Reply to
nanb

== Chances are some refrigerant has leaked out. System needs to be re charged, and preferably fix leak to avoid recurrence. Could be a hose or fitting. Cost depends on source.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
nanb

Nanb: Turn the a/c on with the hood up and see if the clutch engages to rotate the compressor. You will hear a solid "clunk" if it is working, and you will see that the whole clutch assembly is rotating.

If the clutch does not engage, probably your pressure is low because of a loss of Freon. You can force the compressor clutch to engage by hooking a

+12V clip-lead directly to the clutch wire.

With the compressor rotating, look at the sight-gage on top of the dryer. It usually resides in front of the condenser (in front of the radiator). If the sight-gage shows a white-cloudy mixture then you are low on Freon. Your '92 uses R-12, and that is hard to find now that it is illegal to produce it. There are some substitutes for R-12, but none are the real thing. You might try to get some "Freeze-12," which I understand works reasonably well.

Assuming you can scrounge-up some refrigerant, you will need a manifold and gage set to fill the unit properly, but you can fudge it by filling until the sight-gage clears and then add just a tiny bit more.

Good Luck.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

Reply to
nanb

Hello Dick. I have a gauge to go with my new form of refrigerant (not R-12). It shows hi-side pressure can be anywhere from 25-45psi - which seems like a big range. Would pushing it to 45 risk a leak? Not sure how old the compressor/lines are, as the car (230M) had engine replaced 20 thousand ago - and not sure compressor/lines was included. Thanks for insight. Tim

Reply to
abbottim