Oil spots on air filter

Thanks T4 for the suggestion. Last night I found one at autohausaz.com and here it is:

2447010038 Bosch (Alternate Brand) $12.04 Diesel Primer Pump; Hand Primer Pump.

Great deal and it's a Bosch :-)

Now I'm about to order a bucketful of parts.

Reply to
RF

Thanks TGL.

I just came across something interesting.

Want to know.... poorman's method of setting Injector Pump Timing

This guy attached his IP to the engine block with the usual 3 bolts and then he had the smoke problem. After messing around for a while, he returned to the 3 bolts, loosened them, then disconnected the fuel pipes, rotated the top of the IP about 1/8" towards the engine, then tightened the bolts and reconnected the lines. The result - no smoke! I wasn't aware of that much play when I installed mine.

Now my question is, can I get that effect simply by adjusting the Idle Speed Adjusting Screw at the rear of the IP?

-->> T.G. Lambach I guess that means aligning the engine crankshaft and then taking off

The top of the IP rotated away from the engine, or the top of the Idle Speed Adjusting Screw (ISAS) at the rear of the IP rotated away from the engine?

This ISAS has a locknut that is released to adjust the timing by rotating cclockwise as seen from the rear, and finally the locknut tightened again, hopefully after a satisfactory state has been reached - I'm guessing.

I've seen some ridiculous prices for what seems no more than a nut that screws onto the top of the injector, with a short bent piece of pipe glued to the top. I'll look at this some more soon.

I've placed an order for the Bosch manual fuel pump to replace my very leaky one and many other items. The smell of fuel is beginning to get to me so I'll probably wait until the new pump turns up to continue. I'm curious to know why there aren't simple valves for bleeding the air from the lines, instead of having that stinking fuel messing up the place. The fuel would be sent back along the return line to the tank and the air released. There would be a little stink from that released air but nothing like what I have now. End of gripe :-)

Thanks again.

Reply to
RF