Oil air filter

I removed the air filter and I delivered it to an ACVW guru. He worked on a VW dealer for more then 20 years as mechanic chief. He putted the air filter in a liquid for

24 hours and cleaned it. A lot of dirt comes out of the top part of the filter. The paint got a lot of bubbles. Not the factory inner paint but the outside paint job I did. He was the person who told me about this tip This is one of the best improvements I made on my beetle to improve the performance. The idle speed dropped between 50 to 100 rpm and the acceleration is stronger. It also works smoother and I only feel a tiny flat spot. The engine drops less rpm when I shift. Now I know why some people change to paper filter and feel a big difference. I never read a post about this issue here?but I also could miss it.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Oil bath air cleaners were used for years. They did however need to be cleaned once in a while. I've always wondered if the more modern paper type filters did a better job. It's certainly easier to toss out a replaceable filter as opposed to putting an oil bath type through a solvent tank or spraying it out with something. Probably too messy and dirty for most people.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

In my opinion paper type filters are easy to replace. Oil bath air cleaners are a mess to clean, but more efficient removing dust from the air and less restrictive, if properly maintain (It wasn't my case). If I?m wrong please let me know.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

The oil bath air cleaner actually cleans better and impedes the flow of air less than a paper air filter, but the mess factor pushes people in the direction of the paper filters.

-

Jim Adney

AFAIK The oil bath air cleaners keep the mixture a little richer at the higher rpms too.

Reply to
One out of many daves