OT 240D - Info Please

240D - 1983

The repair records are as follows: Purchased new in 1983, shipped from Germany, single owner - until I purchased it. (A couple of months ago, he said he missed it and wished he hadn't sold it).

24 September 1998 Miles 166853 1 Transmission $1125.00 Trans fluid $10.00 R&R Transmission $400.00 Labor $400.00 Parts $1135.00 Total $1553.10

1 March 1999 170144

1 Voltage Regulator $72.60 1 Used Vac Pump $75.00 Removed and replaced voltage regulator. Checked charging - OK Checked valve in pump - found OK Removed pump - found roller bearing broken - replaced with used pump.

Labor $110.00 Parts $147.60 Total $266.46

11 July 2003 190083 1 Belt $15.00 1 Bulb $1.50 Replaced A/C Belt $60.00 Replaced Brake Light Bulb Total $77.49

22 July 2003 190209

1 Crankshaft seal $16.00 1 Atl Belt $15.00 1 Powersteering Belt $16.00 1 Hose $6.00 2 Clamps $4.50 1 Rear Window Seal $104.00 Removed belts & crank shaft Pulleys, replaced engine front seal Replaced alt and P/S Belts Replaced fuel hose at fuel tank & clamps $210.00 Labor $210.00 Parts $161.50 Total $481.19

4 August 2003 190320

1 oil filter w/seals $14.00 7 qts oil $14.00 1 - oil plug $11.00 1 set rear pads $39.95 Chg oil & filter w/seals Oil Plug Replaced rear brake pads $35.00 Total $183.77

November 2004 : (Not from my mechanic - But Local....groan!)

2 New tires $100.00 Oil Change $50.00 Windshield Wipers $40.00

10 December 2004 - 192486 Scheduled with independent mechanic who's cared for it since it was new. Regular Transmission fluid change and brake fluid change Check all hoses, fluid levels, vacs, power steering, brake pads, etc. Replace or repair passenger side windshield wiper hose connector Conduct overall inspection - write diagnosis

This was a one owner car purchased new and shipped from Germany in 1983. It has the original body, rubber, paint, seats, radio, carpets, glass, grill, EVERYTHING except transmission, drivers door hinge and rear window seal.- are all as they were from the factory in Germany. I've owned it eighteen months and like it VERY much.

There's just one thing: I'd like to get the age old water spots off the chrome and get it shiny new. Do you have any ideas, suggestions, info.? And what, if anything can I expect with this mileage (192,486) in terms of major repairs? Yeah, I do 'baby' it and keep a thick coat of wax on it. Right now it's raining and it's sitting outside in the yard with water beaded up all over it. It is a beautiful dark blue with a smooth ride. Yes it's heavy, and that makes me feel 'safer'. I've no intention of winning a race, but it will run after the gears SHIFT!

TIA. Helen

Reply to
Helen

Your car has been well cared for. It may need new door seals - the rubber strips around the doors. Not cheap - about $100 per door plus labor but will eventually be necessary.

As to water spots: the bumpers can be polished with MILD polish. I use Glasswax (for its mild abrasive) to remove water spots from the bright work.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Actually I prefer steel wool for this job. Not those crappy SOS pads either, the big tough kind of steel wool. usually the brand I see these days is "chore boy".

After you rub that on the chrome it's best to use some kind of coating to protect it also, if it's going to be exposed to the elements...

marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I'd try something _milder_ first, steel wool is more on the _rough_ side. Maybe try

first?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Thanks for the replies. I found this (MAAS). Does anyone here know anything about it? If it does what their ad says, then other similar products will soon be out of business. Here's the link:

Helen

Reply to
Helen

I admit it seems that way, but it absolutely doesn't scratch chrome, it polishes it like nobody's business. My friend Andy who is a fanatical car detailer/cleaner taught me this trick and it's a great one!

Try it in a wrecking yard first, or on some crappy beater parked on your street if you don't believe me, although why you are polishing chrome on someone else's beater might be hard to explain...

I don't know about chromed plastic though... Don't have a clue about that crap.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Yes - THAT would be REALLY hard...

Weel, since some years I have Italian copy bumpers on my W123 (yes, that is NO joke, it is copies from Italy being _much_ cheaper than the originals!) and these have a much weaker chrome than the original ones, they are easily to scratch (compared to the originals).

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Okay my thoughts as a 6 year owner...

My 240D has well over 1.5 MILLION miles, it's on it's 3'rd motor and 2nd tranny. My fuel economy is VERY good compared to most (althoug I rarely drive more than 60 mph), at 40+. I have taken care to make sure it does get checked out regularly. I cannot imagine ANY car giving the quality and longetivity that this one has.

My current woes though.. I need new rear cv bbots (anyone with a good split boots reference please step up), and I have a REALLY leaky rear engine seal. Both of these will necesitate a lot of money in repairs, but I think it's worth it.

Can't get a car like this nowadays. especially with the "throwaway mentality" that is present in current autos........

Reply to
Mister Tawny the Talking Tiger