power antenna died on 94 e320

Power antenna no longer comes up. I've checked the fuse visually and the other items on that circuit function. So I'm suspecting either the motor or a wire that supplies power has failed.
With a wrench I carefully removed the chrome part that sticks up from the rear fender but it's just a tiny part and that got me nowhere.
I could try forcing the antenna up or I could try to access from the trunk but thought I would ask if someone has had experience in this area if that is the right approach for my next step.
Thanks for any comments.
Mike in Toronto
If the motor makes no sound as you turn on or off the radio... then you have to check the power at the antennae... unplug the harness and check if you get voltage. if yes, then your motor is dead.

Step 1: do you have power and a good ground at the antenna motor?
I get no sound on the antenna motor. How do I access the actual antenna mast where the power connects to it? (from above or from in the trunk?)

From in the trunk... pull side trunk liner out to see the motor.

Beats me. You don't have a manual?