Power Antenna?

Looks like I broke the antenna on my 1992 Miata, motor runs, antenna doesn't go up or down.

I went to my local dealer's website and it appears that Mazda no longer sells the replacement mast, only the entire power antenna assembly, is that correct?

005&subgroupid 006&componentid`061&make"&model=Miata&year92&catalogid=1 Or:

XS11E

You can certainly still get the mast (and toothed belt, which is what strips) here in the UK, so probably still in the US:

If you're pushed, mx5parts will deliver to the US, but given the current

2 USD/GBP exchange rate, it's going to be very expensive.
Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I found it here for $30:

and here:

Cheapest:

Google turned up several hits, I'll keep checking but it looks like here in the US it's no longer a dealer item which means I'll probably save money but I won't be able to pick it up, I'll have to mail order it.

Reply to
XS11E

Sometimes websites don't tell the whole story, I called the local dealer, they have it in stock and it's a bit cheaper than the online places at $25.

Looks like I've got a couple of hours planned for Saturday.....

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E wrote: >

When I got a used '93 I broke the power antenna mast first thing. Trying to replace it by myself for an hour or so with absolutely no success taught me that you are probably going to need someone to sit in the driver's seat and turn the radio on and off so you can thread that toothed plastic doodad into the antenna motor. Once I got my kid to help me I finally got it installed and fastened down in less than ten minutes.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan

Went through the same thing with another almost identical antenna, I hope I recall how I did it alone. I think I can switch the radio on and off from the back by running a switch in place of the antenna fuse or with the top down I think I can reach the antenna and the radio, it helps to have long arms.. We'll see. look for results or no results Saturday! ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

The fuse is in the trunk right next to the battery. By pulling and reinserting with the radio in given state, you can lower or raise the antenna. A long stick to reach the radio knob may save some walking around the car. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Ooops, seriously misjudged the time, more like 45 minutes.

Grabbed snap ring pliers and removed the outer cap, pulled out broken antenna mast, opened trunk and moved spare tire to left side of trunk, grabbed 10mm wrench and removed locating bolt in trunk, unplugged antenna cable and power connector.

Took antenna assembly inside, opened it up with Phillips screwdriver to remove mounting bracket and pliers to take off center nut, removed broken piece and put assembly back together.

Put assembly back into Miata, put in mounting screw finger tight, turned on ignition and radio, extended my collapsable cane to it's full length (top was already down) and started end of new mast into the assembly. Used cane to reach off button, oooops... didn't catch antenna! Turned radio back on, wiggled end of new mast, turned radio off again, caught it, antenna went down.

Installed top cap, tightened mounting screw, ran antenna up and down a couple of times, put spare tire back, gathered up 10mm wrench and snap ring pliers, closed trunk, put tonneau cover back on car, put tools away, washed hands, typed this message.

Done.

Out of respect for my back, I was able to do most of the above while sitting on a roll around stool.

Not a difficult job at all and the cane allowed me to work the on/off button remotely, no second person needed.

Oh, FWIW, I've installed the AM/FM Cassette 6 CD changer radio from a late model Protege or whatever so the on/off button is MUCH larger and easier to get to than the original AM/FM tape radio, I'm not sure that smaller button would have been as easy to work with the large, clumsy rubber cap on the end of the cane, might have had to use a broom handle or some such?

Reply to
XS11E