Radiator Neck Breakage...

1988 300e...Any shortcuts (read: "cheap") ways to fix this breakage? Mine broke about a week ago...I have the hose clamped on the remaining 1/2" or so of neck but realize this isn't exactly a long term
solution. Is there a way for a rad shop to fix this without having to get a whole new radiator? Can't believe these damn things are plastic! Oh well, any advice is appreciated. I'm in the Twin Cities area of MN in case anyone has a favorite place. Thanks!
ac
I had the same problem on my 87 300D. At first I didn't even notice the break -- just thought the hose popped off. A week later, the hose blew off while I was merging in traffic and helped me loose control and get into a bit of a spin.
Get a new radiator. I paid $500 for a new Behr (never go Nissen) installed, which has a metal-reinforced neck.
Mike

Reseda Radiator offer reconditioned Behr radiators with new plastic sides for $100. 818-342-5154.
Easy to replace the rad yourself, & make sure to replace all your hoses at the same time - after all these are old & wil be the next to go. Better to spend a few $s on these than $800 plus labour ($1200+) for a replacement head.
Chris

JB Weld. I have done this on a few cars, and never had a repair fail. Also fixed a leaky condenser on a 190 A/C system the same way. Was working when I sold the car.
Lee
I agree with Lee, JB Weld...did this about three years ago on my W126, never failed.

Find a pipe (plumbing copper or brass ) that will go inside the the neck of both existing and broken neck. Clean it really good and use JB WELD (do not use the quick JB WELD, only regular one and wait 24 hrs before use of the radiator) , it should last for a long time.
Good luck and let us know

There is no way to fix it but all new, Behr o.e. radiators come with reinforced necks. They can be had with full lifetime warranty for a lot less than the dealer charges. CarRadiator.com sells authentic Behr, o.e. radiators for $269! Call 800-228-8068 ext249 and tell Nate you want a Behr radiator and no other kind (Nissens). P.

The neck on a Mercedes radiator doesn't usually break unless someon not familiar with it overtightend the hose clamp. Many owners deliberately use an American style, wide, stainless clamp to more evenly distribute the tightness. When replacing the original Behr radiator, note that the new Behr radiators have a reinforced neck. Avoid Nissen aftermarket radiators for MB. You can get an o.e. Behr radiator with a lifetime warranty greatly discounted from carradiator.com, 800-228-8068 ext. 249 (Nate). I was quoted $269 formy 124 body. P.

That is ABSOLUTELY incorrect. It is quite common that any time after 10 years of age, the plastic neck literally falls off at the stress point under the clamp. It is obvious that most of the time this clamp has NEVER been touched.
I say this from the viewpoint of a shop owner and dealer who writes 5,000 repair orders a year on Mercedes cars.