1988 300e: Instructions for Alternator

Can someone please tell me how do I get the alternator back on my 1988

300e. I?ve tried top bolt, then bottom bolt....neither works. I must be doing something wrong, missing a step, because I know that this change should not take more than 1hr. I?ve been looking at this now for 3hrs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Reply to
aphia111

Is it the same alternator you removed? If so it should go on in opposite of the way it came off (sorry).

If it's a replacement, verify by comparison to the original that it's dimensions are the same...

Hard to really offer help from a distance on this.

Sorry, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

"" wrote: > On 2005-08-21 13:37:41 -0700, aphia111 > said: > > > Can someone please tell me how do I get the alternator back > on my 1988 > > 300e. I?ve tried top bolt, then bottom bolt....neither > works. I must > > be doing something wrong, missing a step, because I know > that this > > change should not take more than 1hr. I?ve been looking at > this now > > for 3hrs. > > > Is it the same alternator you removed? If so it should go on > in > opposite of the way it came off (sorry). > > If it's a replacement, verify by comparison to the original > that it's > dimensions are the same... > > Hard to really offer help from a distance on this. > > Sorry, > Marty

It is the same type of alternator, however, I can not get the belt on...is there are tension release screw somewhere that I am missing?

Reply to
aphia111

Oh yes, If it's similar to my car (86 190e), then there is a tensioner that should be released. This is a several step process (for my car).

1) find the tensioner, and you will see that a large bolt hold it in place (17mm?). Put a wrench on this bolt and loosen it until it turns easily (don't remove it entirely, this just frees the tensioner are for adjustment). 2) At the top of the area where the tensioner resides is a long metal tube with a six sided top (like a nut). This is the adjuster for the tensioner. Turn this counter clockwise(about 10-15 turns?). Now the belt is loose.

On my car there is also a scale/indicator that shows you the tension status. Set this to zero when the tensioner is loose, and then when you are tightening it, you should see the pointer moving up the scale. Usually about 75% up the scale is where you want to tighten to.

WARNING: These direction are based on my car and my experience. If your car is different these directions might be useless or worse.

Hope this helps. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph