re. 240D will not start for another 3 hours

I love my 1982 240D MBZ except for one problem I keep having time to time. The problem is the following: I drive the car 70-75mph for about 20min, park
it and come back 30-45min later, the car refuses to start. All electrical gadgets work fine, just won't crank. The first time, the tow truck driver and I looked everywhere thinking that the transmission was not in park, but that was not it. After towing the car to the service center, the guys there just put the key in the ignition and started the car right up. The second time, I had the car towed to my home and the next day, the car started as if nothing happened. Now when it refuses to start, I just leave it alone for 3 hours and come back later to get it. However this is getting quite expensive taking the cab. I must admit it only happen 1 time every quarter on average. I had the car looked at but nobody seems to know the cause. had anybody else experienced the same thing? Can you help me diagnose this 240D beast with 272,000 miles?
It sounds like the starter motor is bad-- simply said heat makes it quit working, a common problem.
bokosso wrote:

Thank you! I shall hunt for a replacement ASAP!!!

time.
park
electrical
driver
but
there
second
as if

for 3

expensive
average.
else
with
If you're cheap like me, after the car gets warm just roll it down a hill and pop the clutch. Ignore the starter entirely, until it really gives up the ghost.

I wish the beast were not equipped with automatic transmission. Thank you for the reply.

time.
park
electrical
driver
but
there
second
as if

for 3

expensive
average.
else
with
Do a check for the starter solenoid especially of it is attached to the starter. It may be the starter is ok but the solenoid maybe sticking.
Also sometimes tapping the starter and solenoid withe a hammer will get you by until you can replace them.
BTW: checl the wiring to the starter ad the battery grouding along with the solenoid before replacement. I've seen many pople replace starters needlessly when it was really a wiring problem.
MC

park
but
there
if
3
expensive
average.
else
Also try checking the ground cables, there is one to the frame from the engine, sometimes people forget to check that and if the car is rusty that can be abig problem. I had my 300d back east, and I had untold problems starting it , dead batteries, bad ground cable was the culprit. was tight, but the connection itself was bad.I bolted the ground end of the cable to the metal on the engine near the breather.haven't had a dead battery since. Jim