Page 1 of 3
'83 300 SD with 483,000 miles. Greg

'87 420 SEL 306,000
LEEP

I do.
--
OE,OEM MB, BMW, parts: http://buyeuroparts.com
Hi
The record here in denmark is a MB 300D 1.500.000 miles :-) with out any major repaires lol
regards
Allan

I may not have 300k miles, but I have darn near close to ....um, er, 210,000km in my 1985 380SE. Richard

marlinspike wrote:

The first 250.000 km are the run-in phase - the last 250.000 km are the ruinin' phase... ;-)
Juergen
Juergen . wrote:

Hm. I'm at 258K and I expect this vehicle to goto 350K km easily. Of course, the repairs are the one that might ruin me first! ;)
Cheers, WS
--
Change to leews to mail.

Query:
If you replace the engine... and then you replace the transmission, tires, oil, brake pads, seals, various other things and get a new paint job, do you still have the same vehicle and if so, what is it that determines 'this is the same car'? Just wondering.
Helen
: > Which posters on this newsgroup have MBs with over 300,000miles? : > : > Noticed a poster today with a '91 350SDL with 450,000 MILES: WOW!! : > : > Anyone else? : > : > '85 300SD, 300K Miles : > : > : :
<<Query:
If you replace the engine... and then you replace the transmission, tires, oil, brake pads, seals, various other things and get a new paint job, do you still have the same vehicle and if so, what is it that determines 'this is the same car'? Just wondering.
Helen>>
The VIN tag, according to the Texas DMV. The block according to the CA DMV. However, I had 2 prior Mercedes with over 300,000 miles, on the original engine. I also have a VW Beetle that I race that has had over 20 engines. (Also over 300,000 miles) With out a doubt, this is a YMMV type question. :-)
Lee
Helen:
You ask an interesting question. It sounds like George Washington's axe. In any case, I think it's the chassis that determines what the car is. Tires, oil, brake pads, seals, etc., and even paint, to a certain extent, are maintenance items that require replacement with use. Even body panels can be changed after an accident or extensive rusting. As long as the car retains its original VIN, it's still the same car. I remember seeing in Europe an early MB W 115 (a 220 D) from the late 1960s that had been upgraded with what looked like a new body of the late W 115 with the ribbed tail lights, wider grille, flat headlights, etc. I'm sure this car was still registered as the original car it was; it was simply that its body was a few years newer than the rest of the car. Then again, maybe it also had a new engine and transmission.
Incidentally, this was in Portugal, where running a gas (petrol) car was extremely expensive, and a diesel one was much cheaper. There were owners of gas-engined models (MB and non-MB) that had their cars converted to diesel. I remember seeing a diesel 280 SL (W 113) and a diesel 280 S (W 108). This was many years before MB introduced its first diesel S-class, the (1978-80, W 116) 300 SD. (Juergen, I know that there was a 170 DS and 170 S-D, but come on, those were not real S-Class cars.) The diesel engines installed in formerly gas-powered MBs were typically the very underpowered 220 D or 240 D engines. (In non-MB cars, including American cars, they typically installed Indenor engines, a division of Peugeot, or Perkins engines.) When I saw these models, especially the 280 SL, running on diesel engines, I was upset with the loss of power and refinement, but, in retrospect, I see that the Portuguese were way ahead of their time and even ahead of MB itself. :-)
Best regards,
Danny

Hi Danny,
E 55 AMG wrote:

Such conversions were not that uncommon here in Germany - especially when there were front accidents some people put the newer-style parts on, that was no problem, you had to change the hood, both fenders, the front grille, the bumper and the headlights.
I also remember the stories when in the 1950's people cut out the middle metal of their VW Beetles rear window, changing the split-window to the newer look...
Oh and YES, VERY popular with W126 owners since 1985 is to put the new-style side mouldings plus bumpers on - you would be surprised under how many hoods of the newer-style W126s 280S, 280SE and 380SE engines are... ==:-((
Ok, enough of that, I could go on for hours with W124 stories of 1993+ cars - which indeed are 1985 models etc. pp.

Did I say anything? Did I say anything?? DID I??? NO, I did NOT say anything! Grumble... murmur... silentlymurmuringintothebeard... Oh, what an unfriendly ng this is! ;-)))

UNDERPOWERED 240D?? U N D E R P O W E R E D??? U N D E R P O W E R E D????
You must be joking, my 1982 W123 240D auto Euro sedan takes only 24.7 seconds from zero to 62.1 mph and boasts an impressive top speed of 85.75 mph!! Underpowered... =:-(((((
Ok, to get serious:
Indeed one could argue at length if these 170 S or 170 DS (W136 series) were S-Classes or not... Seen from the perspective of the very young Western Germany of the beginning 1950's personally I would say _yes_, that were indeed S-Classes - but I know that especially seen from the perspective of the US the W136 are not regarded as S-Classes: One has to see what the automotive situation in the US was at that time - full-size V8 cars with auto trans and lots of gimmicks, absolutely no comparison to a W136 with its 4-cylinder inline engine with 40 PS (Diesel) or 45/52 PS gasoline and the mandatory manual trans!
(W108 with diesel engine) Especially with old W108 S-Classes back into the late 1970's and in the 1980's it was not uncommon here in Germany that especially young people had all types of MB diesel engines put in - this also included 55 PS 200D engines... ...well, THAT was slow... But the front of the cars in most cases featured the double-round headlamps which in Germany were an option resp. standard with the 300 SEL 6.3 - here in Germany.
The normal headlamps looked like this
http://www.geocities.com/mbz109/img/w108profile.gif
(Of course I know you, Danny, know how it looks but some others might not).

I have only once seen a R107 with a diesel engine here in Germany.

With the W116 one once could see here in Germany from time to time a re-imported Diesel 300 SD - I am sure the car would have been a strong seller here, but as MB did some things wrong back in that days (e.g. also not to build the C111) we Germans had to live with it (or should I say: without it?).

Kind regards from sunny - ok, not at this time of the night - and _very_ warm Germany
Juergen P.S.: I know I still owe you an answer regarding displacement

Averaging 65,000+ miles per year at least, when does he have time to sleep?

sdp1s wrote:

I think he means a W124 250D - that one was available from spring 1985 on (E250D from 09/1993 on).
Juergen

i rang my brother and asked, he said nope, it's an E250, early 1994. you sure you don't mean kilometers instead of miles, i said ... nope, it's miles. apparently the first owner was a perfume company and the merc was used as the 'swab car', taking weekly samples between lab in berkshire, UK to milan, italy. when he picked up the car at three years old it had already done nearly 250,000 miles. since then it has averaged around 1,000 miles per week with my brother's engineering supplies firm. it had a new engine and transmission at 375,000 miles.
Hi Nick,
Nick Hogg wrote:

Wow - interesting _life_ of a car!

375 k mi ( = 603.000 km) IMHO is ok for both - I once drove a 1985 W124 300D where both were redone after ca. 550.000 km = ca. 340 k mi; but of course I have also heard reliable stories of roughly 1.000.000 km = ca. 625 k mi without rebuild on W124 diesels.
A neighbour once had an early W124 230E which was used by BP for testing of engine oils - thick additional wiring harness for the various sensors was still in the car when he bought it.
Juergen

yeah, my brother says his car *still* smells of perfume!!
What, you think thrashing up and down the motorway between southern England and Milan every week for three years and then drivng round the UK (and maybe some Continent) interesting for a car???
(Frankly I can't understand why they didn't send the stuff by air -- must be cheaper.)
My own journeys are far more varied but, I suppose, more boring for the car as I do it mostly by Boeing and Airbus...
;-) DAS --
Dori Schmetterling wrote:

Ok - seen that way the most important _life_ a car can have is to be a police cruiser - we have many W210 E-Classes as police cruisers here in Germany, green on white the oldest ones, green on silver the newer ones, blue on silver the newest ones. W211 I know only in blue on silver.
Oh and yes, in the Northern city of Hamburg there is a one-year trial period of Harley-Davidson police mnotorcycles in blue on silver - perfect match for the W211.

There _must_ have been a reason or two why they didn't.

You mean you yourself got the luxury to fly by plane, but you did NOT take your car into the passenger cabin but in the cargo compartment without windows?
As I thought, you are no _real_ MB enthusiast... ;-)))

Smiling kind regards from Germany
Juergen ----------------------------------------------------
Hi Juergen,

A Harley-Davidson in a German police force?? Here in Vancouver they tried BMW's, excellent bikes they said but why (other than politics I guess and style) would the Germans want to use an HD and there is a host of German motorbikes to choose from?
cp
Hi cp,
cp wrote:

No - most of the good ones are being/already have been exported.
Also since the car tax is extremely high for old diesels many people sold their now already exported old MB diesels.
And the new European Union Warranty laws came into effect at Jan 1st 2002 so many car dealers do not sell any old cars inside the EU anymore but for export to outside the EU like Africa, Arabia or the former Soviet Union only so they do not have to give any warranty.
Of course from time to time you can have luck and come over a good car, but that more or less is pure luck.
Sorry I can't give you a more positive response!
Juergen