300 SD manual trans.

Has anyone ever put a manual transmission on an 83 300SD, or heard of it? If so, what transmission should I use?

Reply to
anahataray via CarKB.com

A strong one. I've only heard of one long term successful switch to a manny tranny. The rest blew up at the 6 month mark. I think, but am not sure, it was "a standard 4 speed mb trannny".

I've heard the Supra five speed is the way to go - you need a custom bellhousing but aparantly these are being made in Australia. Dave Frada or John Greene might know.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

While not exactly putting a manual on a 300SD, I did it the other way around. I dropped the engine out of an 83 300SD into my W123 chassis when the 240 engine bit it after the oil pump quit. I have the manual tranny still as it was too much surgery to fit in the automatic. The car has about 12K miles on it since the engine transplant and both engine and tranny are still running like a champ. I just wish it was a 5 speed.....

Rochelle

Reply to
Snowfire

You could change the rear end differential to a lower number for better RPM level on highway... you got all that power now... from like 80HP to now 150 HP?

Reply to
Tiger

At least I can climb the hills around here at something other than 30 MPH in 2nd gear! IIRC the 240 engine was rated at 67 hp fresh off the assembly line. That's not a lot for a car that heavy.

I've kind of hit my threshold of financial pain where this car is concerned. At this point I'll do routine stuff, but no more major surgery. After swapping out the engine and replacing a cracked head, courtesy of a split coolant hose, I've done about as much as I want to on a 28 year old car.

Besides, my father is looking at the new Bluetec cars, and he has a nice E300D with my name on it

Rochelle

Reply to
Snowfire

standard 4 speed

i have a 1999 s 500 that i would like to sell 39k milies full dealership history sliver how much do you think it is worth..?

Reply to
Mollën

rote:

"a standard 4 speed

I'm looking for S320 CDi, black, auto, LWB with the velour

Will pay $17500 tops

Reply to
Pierre Litbarski

LOL... which E300D does he have? What year?

Reply to
Tiger

He has a 1996. No turbo, but pretty good pickup. I can drive the Bay Area freeways without white knuckles. I have this strange aversion to being the hood ornament on a Kenworth.

Rochelle

Reply to
Snowfire

Ahh... yes... I go the 95... but the transmission is totally different on both car... the 96 has the 5 speed tranny... which is super awesome.

Reply to
Tiger