Removing the Instrument Panel from MB W124 '92 ?

Hi!
Car: MB 200E (W124), year model 1992.
I've been informed that the instrument panel (later: IP) should come out by using small hooks slided in between the IP and the left side of the
dashboard at the 10 o'clock position and on the right side at the 2 o'clock position. I tried that manoeuvre, but the IP moved only couple of millimeters until it stopped totally (in the limits or feasible pulling force used). Should the IP really come out that way? How deep should the hooks be pushed before turning and pulling? (I pushed only 1 cm = 0,4 inches, however, the hook seemed to get a good grip from the IP as it didn't slip)
- Jouko L.

Yes, you need to slide the hooks in, and turn them so the grip the indentations for them on either side of the cluster, and then just pull. You may have to disconnect the speedo cable on the gearbox to allow enough space to reach around to unscrew it and unplug the connectors on the back of the clocks.
Jouko The instrument panel is a friction fit. It just slides in. You are doing it right. Just work each side a little at a time and it will come out.
Larry In the back yard, under the oak.
Pandacat206 wrote:

Yeah, now I've done it. The IP was very tight, and there was no way to get it out with the hooks, but I needed to remove the underdash panel and push the IP out. That wasn't very trivial, as there's many things to be removed until the underdash panel can be removed. That's not all: there's not too much space behind the IP and it's very difficult to get hands there especially to a position where they can push with strong force (and not only be there).
- Jouko L.
Rather than using the hooks, there is an alternative method. Remove the underdash panel via the screws. Remove the press fit a/c plastic flex ducting. That should give your hand a clear shot to the speedo cable. Unscrew the speedo cable and then push the cluster from the backside. This way you minimize the chances of stretching the speedo cable and ending up with a bouncy needle.

There are two stainless, hooked tools made to fit between the plastic pod and the padded dash. They are not expensive and can be purchased at any dealer parts dept. They slide between the plastic instrument pod and then you turn to engage the hooked ends and gently pull forward. It's a friction fit and MB techs do this all the time to replace bulbs, etc. P.