Instrument Panel Colour

I'm planning to change the bulb covers on the bulbs in the instrument panel of my 1999 Corolla. Does anyone know where I could purchase these bulb covers and what size to use? I want to change the colour of the display from the stock green to a more exciting colour. Thanks

Reply to
bornfree

The more exciting color might be bright enough to blind you just enough so you don't see a deer on a dark road. Sounds like a bad idea.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't plan to make the dispaly any brighter than it is, just to change the colour. That y i'm not changing the bulbs, I just want to change the covers.

Reply to
bornfree

I don't plan to make the dispaly any brighter than it is, just to change the colour. That y i'm not changing the bulbs, I just want to change the covers.

Reply to
bornfree

This guy gets excitement from changing the colors of dashboard lights, and you think *I* have issues? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I am not familiar with bulb covers, however, there are tinted replacement bulbs available, usually blue and red. The red supposedly preserves your night vision, and blue light supposedly makes blood more visible.

Reply to
Ray O

The color of the display is given by the "condom like" covering over the bulbs, that's waht i'm trying to source to give the display a softer tone. It's easier than replacing the bulbs.

Reply to
bornfree

And hemeroids exacerbate the problem. By jove, I think you are on to something there Mark.

Reply to
dbu`

At least the tip about blue light was in an ad for a SureFire LED flashlight :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Too bright of any color, even red, can degrade it. White light degrades it the fastest. Single colors usually preserve night vision.

In cockpits, we frequently use red, green, or blue, depending upon the cockpit and the task, but only one of them at a time. I own an LED flashlight with selectable red, green, blue, or white light.

Reply to
B A R R Y

So does anyone know where I could source the T1 & T1 3/4 bulb caps/covers? I think this is the size ob the bulbs in the instrument panel.

Reply to
bornfree

I'm planning to use just 1 colour, but I don't know where to source the covers for the bulbs.

Reply to
bornfree

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. In my case, I couldn't tell you what color my dash lights are...and don't much care, as long as I can see them.

Reply to
mack

I'd prefer blue or a bluish green, myself. (I'm not kidding.) I don't particularly like orange or yellow dash lights. Too garish, IMO. (I'm not kidding.)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

It would kind of help if you could tell us WHAT color!

The reason I ask is, it makes a difference on whether you change the 'propholactycs' on the bulbs, or the bulbs themselves. Also, you can go with an entirely different technology(LEDs).

The little rubber covers, at least in the US are hard to find. I had a Nissan 240SX, and I liked the 'flourescent' quality the light blue rubber covers gave the dashboard. They are $13 EACH from Nissan, since you have to buy the bulb and the bayonet as well...covers not sold separately.

If you go with 12V LEDs, numerous colors are available, for about $5-12 each. You'll likely never have to replace them again.

I changed my Corolla GTS and my Supra over to blue. These bulbs are about $1.50 each, and are available in blue, red, yellow and green. But Toyota bulbs are fixed, not replacable like my Nissan, so you either have to buy the whole assy or make damn sure you bend the wiring on the base of the bulb to make sure it makes contact. Taking a dash apart twice is a pain.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Like I said, I don't, either. Where are you? Some AutoZone stores in the US used to sell the covers; now they are where you can find them...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thank very much for the info. I'll call autozone and c if they stock the bulb covers. I think what u r saying is that if I replace the bulbs i'll have to also replace the twist and lock sockets. By the way, i'm going with the blue colour.

Reply to
bornfree

Autozone does not have blue covers (are you here in the US? Your use of coloUr threw me off). They have blue bulbs; they have Xtreme and another brand. The Xtremes are OK, the other brand is a darker blue, but where I am they are not stocking them anymore.

Be forwarned...you will NOT see your dashboard at dusk, at dawn, or on rainy days. The blue is a very dark color and can only be seen well at night.

Um, but it *IS* pretty cool!

Also, they do NOT have the smaller bulbs for the heater panel, etc, so unless it takes a 168 or a 194, it will still be green.

You may want to look online for LEDs...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm in the US. I'm thinking that the bulbs in the instrument panel are #74 as in the ignition switch (1999 Japanese Corolla). The covers would be good for the heater panel bulbs if it was available. I've found the LEDs on the super bright leds website. If u get any more info on the blue covers i'd appreciate it. Thanks much.

Reply to
bornfree

I get excitement from changing my dash colors, too.

I've done it on three cars now.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B