Simple One - Replacing Overload Relay

From searching this board I have determined that the problem with my

'86 420 SEL and it's throttle response could be a bad Overload Relay.

I have the new Overload Relay and have a dumb question. Should I disconnect the battery before replacing? Also, is this relay located in the engine compartemtn in the fuse box? I also got a new fuel pump relay as well, is this located in the same place in this car as well?

Thanks.

Reply to
SPRFRKR

No, you do not need to disconnect the battery. The overload relay is on the firewall. By the master cylinder. Has a red top with a fuse. The fuel pump relay is next to it. Has a RPM figure on top.

Reply to
Karl

Inside the fusebox... that is...

Reply to
Tiger

Not on a 86 and up.

Reply to
Karl

Oh! Didn't know that... gee... and I thought all W126 is the same...

Reply to
Tiger

So where is it located on the '86? I live in the city and have it garaged, so when I go to change it, I need to have an idea of where to look as I don't have the best working conditions here... Thanks again.

Reply to
SPRFRKR

The overload relay is on the firewall. By the master cylinder. Has a red top with a fuse. The fuel pump relay is next to it. Has a RPM figure on top.

Reply to
Karl

Now I'm becoming interested in this overload relay as well. My '89 300e appears to be running well overall _except_ it idles rough down around 500 rpm. I checked all the obvious as well as the overload relay 'fuse'. If I understand correctly, the relay itself may be bad causing the car to actually run in a 'dumb' mode without the computer and that may cause a rough idle? I've probably got something wrong since I can't complain about performance, milage, etc otherwise. Could the rough idle be connected to the relay?

cheers, guenter

with a fuse. The fuel

Reply to
Guenter Scholz