Sprinter question.

Currently the Sprinter is being sold in the US and Canada under the Dodge and the Freightliner name plate. They are equipped with the 2.7l 5 cyl. turbo diesel.
It is my understanding that they have been sold in Europe for some time now. What kind of reliability reputation do these vans have?
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote:

I hear it is good but I have never had one.
If you want one that isn't white with strange options you have to order it and that takes months since they build them in Europe and ship them here for final assembly.
They need to build them in the USA.
.
--

Nothing is the way it is because that is the way it has to be.

1 HP = 745.69987158227022 Watts

A friend of mine in Australia has one. He loves it to death. As for reliablity think "tank". He's had his airborne in the desert. "no worries".
Rare and expensive. I looked for one at xmas. I found one used one in all of Canada. Apparanly people don't want to sell them for some reason...
Richard Sexton wrote:

You can get them with wings?
.
snipped-for-privacy@vrx.news (Richard Sexton) wrote in message

Ditto.
I've spoken to a couple of acquaintances in the states who have them and they're getting 25+ mpg (better mileage than a Chevy Astro!).
I've only seen a few of them on the roads in Nova Scotia.
Tim Delaney 1984 300SD
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Tim Delaney wrote:

They are *ALL OVER* the place here in the GTA.

I've seen several in Calgary, as well.
FWIW, I've also seen a few fully licensed Smart cars on the roads here, too. (Though not near enough to get them into profit).
John M. '94 E320 Bigger than a Smart, smaller than a Sprinter

I'm startng to see a few too.
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, John Mauel wrote:

Smarts seem to be catching on in Tronna, though I am not yet convinced that they're not paying people to drive a small fleet of Smarts in the AvDav neighbourhood where all the clever people live.

Yes, that would be the smart thing to do.
Roger Shoaf wrote:

Here in Germany we say _Sprinter-Class_ for all those vans, be it MB Sprinter, VW LT or Renault Master etc. pp.
Juergen

OK, so do I infer from this that a Sprinter is better, eq1ual or worse than the VW or Renault? Do these have a reputation like the 300 D going a half a million miles on a regular basis or are they run of the mill?
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote:

The VW is the same - ok, different engines and slightly different front look - as the Sprinter, the bodies in white are identical. With the successor it will be the same next year.

Mileage depends on several things, but the engine is known to last long; it is basically the same engine as in the 270CDI passenger vans (you don't get them in NA) and if serviced regularly, not chip-tuned and carefully driven until warm I see no problem to reach very high mileage.
The Renault Master is the same as the Opel Movano resp. Vauxhall Movano and Nissan Interstar, the Fiat Ducato is the same as a Citroen Jumper resp. Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer, the Ford Transit has no such _twin_, but the Transit leaves the coice of fron or rear drive.
Juergen
Roger Shoaf wrote:

The VW is the same - ok, different engines and slightly different front look - as the Sprinter, the bodies in white are identical. With the successor it will be the same next year.

Mileage depends on several things, but the engine is known to last long; it is basically the same engine as in the 270CDI passenger vans (you don't get them in NA) and if serviced regularly, not chip-tuned and carefully driven until warm I see no problem to reach very high mileage.
The Renault Master is the same as the Opel Movano resp. Vauxhall Movano and Nissan Interstar, the Fiat Ducato is the same as a Citroen Jumper resp. Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer, the Ford Transit has no such _twin_.
Juergen

My uncle has one with a couple hundred thousand kilometers on it for his produce selling business, no problems, loves it.
The ones in North America have automatics, people here are too lazy I guess, should be a noticeable difference in fuel consumption.
look for sprinter mileage examples at the top german car trader sites
http://eng.autoscout24.com / http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/index_cgi.pl?sprache=2
cp