"stealth" radar installation-MB

Is anyone aware of a place to get a quality "stealth" radar detector installation done on a new model; MB (greater Washington DC area please)?

Chuck

Reply to
CEmely

The problem is majority of those stealth radar detector are detectable when close to the radar detector detector... and they cost a fortune too... $1000+. Performance sucks too compared to regular one.

Best thing to try if you absolutely want it in your car is to hide it on the dash with a cover of some sort... Like hide it in one of the plush doll... or some elegant cover that look like an accessory. Good luck...

Reply to
Tiger

The best thing to do is get a good quality radar detector that actually works. Most of the "custom installed" versions emphasize style over technology. I have yet to see a custom installed detector that works as well as a Valentine

I hate tickets and I speed all the time.

As far as I (and a lot of other people) are concerned...there is only one ...the Valentine one.

You can find the company site at

he has tons of info there on speeding and radar.

I talked with Mike Valentine 9 or 10 years ago (on the phone... back then he personally answered the phone), and he told me about the fact that he invented radar detectors when he was at Cincinnati Microwave (the ORIGINAL producer of the Passport and Escort) He also told me about the fact that the current Passport and Escort have nothing to do with the original ones. i confirmed this fact when I called passport to try and get a suction cup part for an original passport...I finally got a manager who told me "we only bought the rights to the names...the technology and models are not related to the Cincinnati Microwave ones"

Valentine has a concealed display version.

I had the MB dealership hard wire mine into the cigarette lighter (switched supply) under the dash. This was done free of charge at delivery, however you could get it done for 1/2 an hour or an hours worth of their shop rate ($75). The plug comes out in the right hand side of the footwell, and runs perfectly to the right of the steering wheel, missing the AC controls, etc. This is on a 2004 E320 AWD wagon

If one was concerned about hiding it, one could run the detector up there...place it at the bottom of the screen, and run the remote display to the dash or speedo area.

Reply to
Rich Williamson

Second the Valentine One. And just move out of Virginia. As far as I know, that is the only state that makes it illegal to use a radar detector. I, of course, use mine to find out when there is a policeman nearby so that I might offer him a nice gift of some sort.

mcbrue stealthily under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

Virginia, Connecticut and Washington DC... illegal to use radar detector.

Reply to
Tiger

About 15 years ago Connecticut lifted the ban... they are now legal here.

I'm not an inherently fast or bad driver, but it's comforting to know ya' won't be caught with your pants down (oops!) Another good "insurance policy" is Veteran's plates, if your state issues 'em and you are eligible. Many officers are a tad "gung-ho" and identify with you, ergo: they will cut you a little more slack if they see 'em on your vehicle.

Ditto on the Valentine One... a great detector!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

Reply to
marlinspike

in SC SPRAY ANY THING THAT COVERS THE STATE SEAL YOUR IN TROUBLE THE SEAL CAN ONLY BE READ AT AN ANGLE.

THE STATE AT LAST COUNT HAS ONLY 1 TOLE ROAD.

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Um ... SC has two toll roads - one on Hilton Head and one around Greenville. The one in Greenville is toll because we had a stupid person name of Congressman Ingles who did not believe that pork was moral. He also felt that bringing money home for things like roads was immoral. So he did not bring the money home and the road is a toll road. I have allways wondered if he was one of the private investors who has a share of it. Ingles is from Bluffton, just on shore from Hilton Head. He quite after 3 terms cause he believed in term limits. Now he is running for a senate seat and he states he thinks it is OK to bring money home from Washington if it is allready approved and would just go somewhere else! The dems screwed up BIG TIME with this race and did not get a good candidate against him. They just have a young business man with no political experience running against him. And he is underfunded. Also he is of African descent as they now say, and I fear that could count against him in SC. In fact, the republicans did not even bother giving Ingles much money as they feel he is a shoe in! Interesting how things go in the south!

mcbrue politicalyobservingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE