Radar Detectors

Greetings,

Recently got at speeding ticket in my WRX (imagine that!) and have decided to get a radar detector. Had an old detector in the glove box, lot of good that did me. (Great thinking!)

So have done a little net searching and the two that come up are the: Escort Passport 8500 and the Valentine One. I have heard of both these companies and always heard good things about the Valentine One. What are peoples opinions or experiences with these or other radar detectors?

Also I was reading about some kind of "radar jamming" that is an option on some detectors and can be an upgrade to the Passport. Is this a gimmick or has anybody used this?

Thanks,

Ed

Reply to
Edward Arata

Ed,

If you live in VA or CT, forget the detector; they are illegal & will be confiscated. Stay away from jammers, because they are highly illegal.

Since getting the Valentine One in June 1997, I got one ticket and that was because I intentionally ignored the warning! (What was I thinking!!!!!!) The detector gives you direction, and the number of sources. Very useful. Check the reviews in the major car magazines, there is nothing remotely close. (The contruction is also stellar. My Cobras always had power cord problems.) But you will pay. Mine was over $400. Also, be prepared for a large back order time. If one of the major magazines just reviewed radar detectors, the company will get swamped with orders.

Problem that I have now is that the Forester XT is doesn't require much foot pressure on the gas pedal. If I don't watch my speed odometer, the Valentine One acts a safty net.

But remember with any detector: It is a tool & has to be used properly. Take it easy when there are no other cars around, and always be aware of your surroundings.

Niels

Reply to
Niels

Both the 8500 and the V1 are very good units. I had a V1 until 2 years ago, when I decided to try the 8500. The V1 is a better unit in many ways, but it falses too much and I was "learning" to ignore the warnings. The 8500 eliminates 90% or more of the false alarms, and yet gives me plenty of warning so I find it more useful.

I also use a Blinder laser jammer, which has been tested by a neighbor policeman and it works extremely well.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

The only states that deem the use of a radar detector illegal are VA and DC. CT repealed the law years ago. Not that it matters to this NG, the use of a RD is illegal for all commercial vehicles over 10k lbs in all states by federal law.

Shamus

Reply to
Shamus in CO

As already indicated, they have been legal in CT for many years (at least 7 or 8) - also, while they are illegal in VA, all you get is a ticket (you get a ticket if you have the detector and the power supply in the front of the car - it doesn't have to be on) - they do not confiscate them.

Reply to
David & Caroline

Shamus,

I'm pleasently surprised about CT, so thanks for the update.

Niels

thinking!!!!!!)

Reply to
Niels

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:01:15 GMT, "Shamus in CO" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

And it has been pointed out before, in Canada, the provinces (especially Ontario) where detectors are illegal have detector detectors which are very effective. And no, I don't mean VG2, which many detectors claim to be invisible to. There has been a new one out for a while which the OPP have used to great result.

Don't expect to cruise the 400 series highways undetected.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

And I hope they bring back photo radar too :)))

Reply to
No Way
[posted and mailed]

"Edward Arata" wrote in news:40262645$ snipped-for-privacy@pfaff2.ethz.ch:

Wired magazine recently have the Valentine One and Cobra ESD 9870 their thumbs up:

Fuzzy Logic

- I have a V1, but I'd not hesitate to buy an 8500. - The directional arrows are what set the V1 apart from other rd's. IMO it has very good filtering capabilities, but when it comes down to it, most all do; one just must become accustomed to how one's own detector operates - period. The Bel's tend to be overly sensitive, but better safe than sorry! - Battery operated detectors are not as good as their wired counterparts. - Radar jamming is not legal unless you have an FCC license for a moving vehicle (doubtful!). They are easy to see when they appear too, the V1 goes nuts and there is not a LEO in sight, only the oncoming 'vette or 'stang (never fails). Terry - '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 25,000 miles '03 Silver Legacy SE auto-sedan - 2450 miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

Already solved. Valentine has a detector that can defeat the VG3 technology that the OPP thought would be useful. I use a Valentine One detector and I just laugh at the OPP now. The detector works so well I can do Toronto-London in 1.25 hr.

Go to

They even package the detector special just for Ontario so that the mail man doesn't know you have one.

Go to

Reply to
Joe Bidwell

Can the OPP cite you based on pace?

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

Motor Trend magazine rated the V1 & 8500 very close in performance but, the

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The one detector that's apart from the pack is V1. I didn't copy myself. So VG2 misses Valentine One. In our tests, Valentine One is better than all others for VG2-proofing. Our best competitors are pretty good, maybe good enough. Some others resort to a dubious strategy; they switch off their radar protection when they sense VG2 nearby.

Recently, we've been hearing of another radar-detector detector, the Spectre RDD. Used first in Canada, enforcers of detector bans in Virginia and Washington, DC, and the nationwide ban in heavy trucks, surely have this tool on their must-have list. It claims to have been designed specifically "to detect the latest state of the art stealth-type radar warning receivers." Does it find V1? Very likely, according to reports we've been hearing from a few V1 users. One participant in an internet chat room, who claimed to be a Canadian enforcer, said "I've snagged a Valentine 1 already." We've been unable to acquire a Spectre RDD for testing. Until we can do so, be advised that no super-heterodyne receiver is perfectly undetectable, and that includes V1.

Reply to
POKEY