radar detectors?

I'm looking to buy a radar detector soon in the price range of $100.

Does anyone have any recommendations or any websites where I can do a bit of research? I've been looking around, there are so many of them, I dont know what to buy. Thought I'd ask here first

thanks

-Sohel

Reply to
Sohel

Under $300, they're all pretty much the same: they go off frequently, and it's up to you to guess whether it's police radar, supermarket door openers, or space aliens. They're OK if you never drive more than 10-15 mph over the limit anyway and don't mind slowing down for incessant false alarms.

I like my cheap Uniden because it helps me stay awake on long trips. The only thing ever to set off the laser alert is my power antenna. OTOH, the X-band buzzer has an affinity for Ford and Chrysler pickup trucks (that's certainly handy, isn't it?). Here's a clue to its real value: it's never been stolen while parking with the top down.

If I felt a serious need for radar protection, I'd buy an Escort 8500 or a Valentine One.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Although I do not have one, driving with others I noticed that radar detectors seem to be pretty useful for Tallahassee police to get everyone to slow down if there are special conditions.

Most of the time it is no big thing for me to stay 7-8 mph over the speed limit on a straight road. Driving faster is just colder (returning home today from a Suwannee river trip on the Interstate at well below 60 temperatures and darkness, even with a windstop it was quite chilly but still OK at 75 mph) and noisier.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

The cheapest one I know of is, "drive the speed limit !" Oh, and smile as you drive past the Radar Unit, :)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Reply to
chuckk

Having just completed a trip from Austin to Los Angeles to Boston and back to Austin, I must have had my radar detector go off 150 times and only once (in Dallas) was it laser. Chuckk is typical of those that don't have a detector and are trying to justify their stupidity with bullshit. A radar detector is very worthwhile but don't know if a $100 unit will do you much good. Go for the Excort 8500 or the Valentine.

Reply to
billy greer

Gee, I don't know, Billy. What is "stupid" about driving the speed limit ? If you don't break the law, you shouldn't need to worry about getting stopped.

Is that a new idea for some drivers ? Do some people think that they put up those signs because they thought that would be a nice place to put a sign, oh and by the way, lets put some numbers on it too, just for the hell of it ?

Bruce RED '91 (yes, I do have a radar detector. I just like to see the red and green lights flash on and off ! :) )

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

hah, ur talking about going the speed limit, yet you own a radar detector

Reply to
Sohel

I wish I could fork out $300, but I bought a Beltronics express 940 for $150 shipped Did some research and this one seemed the greatest performance for the money.

-Sohel

Reply to
Sohel

Try it on the Schuylkill Expressway (or just about any other major road) sometime. If you try it when it's backed up, you'll hit the cars in front of you. If you try it when it's NOT backed up, you'll be passed like you're standing still. I tried this on Sunday, as I was leading a moving van which simply couldn't go much faster than the speed limit.

Furthermore, it takes a lot longer to get from point A to point B if you go the speed limit than if you go faster. Yes, sometimes even if you get stopped, depending on the two points involved.

Incorrect, as going the speed limit is so unusual it constitutes reasonable suspicion for a stop.

It was probably originally a relief campaign for unemployed sign painters, and it got out of hand.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Lessee... I haven't seen a radar speed trap in app. 10 years.

Maybe - just maybe - it depends on where you drive.

(Actually I don't know if the manned photo traps around here are radar or laser)

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

In your price range there are none to recommend. Cheap RD's either false too much, which leads to you ignoring them all the time, or they are not sensitive enough, which leads to not enough warning time. They are not really worth spending any money on them. Save your money until you can afford to buy a Valentine RD. Then learn how to use it properly.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

This is only a problem if you are the first car the police are zapping. Otherwise a sensitive RD will pick up the short bursts of energy and give you warning. When you hear your RD go from full on to completely off in a short time, you can be pretty sure instant on radar is up ahead. A valentine will give you plenty of warning. One important thing that many users miss is how to interpret the information the RD is giving you.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

He mentioned instant on radar which is different from LASER. I think you misunderstood.

------------ Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

What is stupid is driving substantially slower than other traffic sharing the road. If you are on an interstate and you are driving at the speed limit, then you are probably driving substantially slower than other traffic on the road. That is not the safest way to drive.

Based on the numbers and their location, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would add is that the numbers and their location are also based on how much revenue can be raised. If you think otherwise, you are either gullible or ignorant. In many places, not all, roads are underposted improperly.

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Yes, you need to spend at least $175, about the price you can get a good Escort for.

Reply to
DJH

Yep, I do have a Radar Detector, but it is not in my Miata. My detector is in my moterhome. (You got to watch them babies, they get away from you on the open road :) ..)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

From what I understand, the Valentine 1 ranks highest.

However, I agree with the "why bother" view - instant on negates any detector. It is safer just to flow with traffic. On I-15 in San Diego,

76-80 seems the rule for traffic (65 zone). The only people you see pulled over are those doing 90 or more and those doing a lot of lane switching.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

Only if you're the first (or last) in line, or the only car on the road. Otherwise, you'll be alerted when other cars are targetted, as much as a mile ahead of you.

Detectors work. They're not magic, but a risk-management tool--you have to learn to use them, and avoid putting yourself into situations where you may not get adequate warning.

Escort used to mail out a small LP with a humorous story containing examples of various alert situations. It was both advertising and a training aid (did I mention it was funny?).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Even with a Valantine, the local between hills setup used on I-75 with a low power instant on radar does not give a speeder much warning. The warning is sufficient if you are running around ten over, but the chances are that you would need to be above ten over to get stopped. The setup does provide a random chance of warning if you happen to be at the crest of another hill when the radar is triggered, or a semi happens to reflect the radar signal your way. A radar detector works best on relatively flat roads or roads with very gentle grades and few obstructions. Most of the locals know where the "trap" is, and avoid it. the out of state travellers and the occasional interstate user are the most common victims. In the Atlanta area, everyone is running at least ten over, so the cops just take their choice when it comes to the next victim.

Reply to
chuckk