Steering Coupling Replacement on 450 SEL 6.9

I need to replace the steering coupling on a 450 SEL 6.9. What is the easiest way to replace this part, do I need to pull the steering column?
Thanks in advance,
Andrew
are you a member of http://www.m-100.info/servlet/Controller
these people are all owners of M-100 vehicles and are your best bet. registration is free for posting, but they'll want money if you want to download manuals etc...

His 6.9 is the 116 body. Isn't the M-100 the 600 limo body with the 6.3 engine?
The easiest way to replace the coupling is to drop the steering box down.....

M-100 refers specifically to the engines used in the 600 (W100), 300SEL 6.3 (W109) and 450SEL 6.9 (W116). The three models taken together are often called the Mercedes M-100s
Michael Trei 1969 300SEL 6.3 1985 280TE

the 6.9 is an M100 too, just improved.

column?
The m-100.info site has been getting progressively less active, and is now pretty sparsely attended. A somewhat more active group can be found at www.m-100.cc Go to "message board". No registration required there to post.
Michael Trei 1969 300SEL 6.3 1985 280TE
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:48:50 +0800, "Dave T."

I'd really love to download that '79 450 sel 6.9 handbook PDF, but i dont see my self paying $45 to join. as thats all i want and ill probably never go back.. do you know where i could download it for free?

column?
News==----
Newsgroups
=---
If $45 is holding you back, then you really don't want it enough....yet.;-)

the
Encryption
If $45 is too expensive, you should not own a M-100! Thats a cheap day.
Fred

Fred Emmerich
All 3 M-100 sites are active, with www.m-100.org the most active. Each has its own merits. Check them all out, they are great resources.
Fred

Fred Emmerich
Fred;
This is no longer true. M-100.org has had 274 posts in the last month, but something like 1/4 to 1/3 of those were spam or spam related (complaints about spamers). M-100.cc has had 310 posts in the last month, none of which were spam (moderated board). As I am not a member of IAMO, I don't know what happens on their members only board, but their 13 public boards are practically dead with a grand total of 41 posts in the last month.
Some people like Dan Smith still post to all three sites, and that's fine. Gradually however, I have found that most of the people interested in discussing the cars, rather than griping and complaining, are moving over to the spam free M-100.cc site. Personally, I have posted there exclusively since May of last year.
Michael Trei 1969 300SEL 6.3 1985 280TE
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:06:29 -0600, fred snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

The M-100.cc site also has a members-only area too. M-100.org does not, but has no special features, but it is the most active board.
Fred

Fred Emmerich