1978 450 sel 6.9 questions.

looking at one next week with the intention of buying, it will be stored in a garage and used as a hobby vehicle, IE driven probably once a week or fortnight.

IS there anything notorious on these vehicles that I need to look out for that could possibly remove the pleasure from my new toy ?

Reply to
Bill

Well, you should try to find one that is rust free. Expect to replace the plastic climate control servo as they all crack and leak. And when you replace it, you should get an aluminum servo from George Murphy at Performance Analysis. Other than the poor gas mileage you will certainly enjoy (you know the engine compression is about 8 to 1), you should have fun with your new toy.

Reply to
VCopelan

Make sure the auto climate control works, cycle it through max heat, max cooling. These cars used an analog servo system, designed by Chrysler, that is very failure prone, mainly the servo.

The servo is easily visible and is located near the right front firewall, at the top. It's about the size of a small cabbage and that's likely what its made from. It has 10 vacuum lines in a harness as well as about 10 electrical connections in two harnesses and 4 heater hoses connected to it. Very easy to spot. Great idea putting vacuum, hot water, and electric all in one complex unit, don't u think?

They fail by either cracking and leaking, or having the motor works inside no longer function correctly, or both. This thing controls all the heater flaps by vacuum, blower motor speeds, ac compressor, heater water flow, etc.

If you need a new one, I believe the company that built them, no longer does. Performance Analysis in Oak Ridge, TN offers a rebuilt one with an aluminum housing, for I believe $500 and a lifetime repair price of $100. The plastic housing was one of the prime failure points, due to cracking.

If you have one that works, make sure to cycle it from max cool to max heat at least once a month. That moves the servo gear works thru the full rotation, helping keep it in shape.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I'll now be paying special attention to this when I take a look. Thanks.

Reply to
Bill

Apparently there are higher compression pistons available, and accompanied with port and polishing the heads and fitting better exhaust headers one can expect in excess of 350hp, but I think 210Kw, 550Nm will keep me interested for a short time.

Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
Bill

Have it checked out by a person knowledgable of cars of this era. the HVAC system, and the suspension need to be checked. The suspension is the only unique part of the car besides the motor. Make sure the door locks (including trunk and gas door) work, the sunroof works, no rust, etc.

Reply to
fred_emmerich