The dumbest question ever asked

I have a '82 SD that has no cracks in the dash. First, the not dumbest question: what is the best way to preserve this condition? Now, the dumbest: Would putting a 45+ SPF sunscreen help protect it? It does, after all, block
rays that burn skin.
Memphis10c wrote:

That is not dumb.
.
--
.
Nothing is the way it is because that's the way it has to be.

If you think this is the dumbest question, I suppose that you don't read this group that often?
I think they make leather treatments with sunblock, perhaps one of those would be good... Although vinyl probably won't soak too much up, so use it sparingly.
Marty
Armour-All. Been around for years.
Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

NEVER, NEVER use Armour-all on vinyl. That is the surest way to create cracking, especially on dashes. Armour-all is a petroleum product that virtually sucks the polymers out of the vinyl creating early cracking. There are better products on the market but make certain you get one that does not have any alcohol or petro products. I know a guy who "saved" a dash by simply wiping lanolin hand creme all over it several times. I'm almost positive Armour-all was developed by someone selling aftermarket replacement dashes. BTW a good dash cover also works wonders to "get rid" of cracks.
Someone recommended 303 Products. Do you have any opinion on that?

No it's not, it's emulsified silcone oil. If it was petrolium based it would say so on the label (by law) and it would burn. Try to light it.

Suntan lotion works too. All these things so is provide a chemical barrier that keeps UV out. In a Canadian winter this couild last weeks. In texas in semmer it might last a day.
I once met an organic chemist whotook two hours to explain all this to me. His recommendation? "I use whateevr is on sale. They all do the same thing".
One exception is "303" which is a water based product and is in effect a sacrificial polymer and acts like a sun block. Developed for the aircraft industry to protect exterior plastic components. "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, drink in one hand, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"
29 09.56N 082 10.13W
I strongly recommend NOT using Armor-All. Yes, it's been around many years and there are numerous reports of it actually ACCELERATING the cracking of vinyl dash boards.
I suggest finding "Aerospace Protectant" by 303 Products. It was specifically developed for the aerospace industry as a sunscreen for products subject to high UV intensity such as those found on aircraft. It can be mail-ordered over the Internet and some Ace Hardware stores carry it. On the bottle label they call it "SPF 40 Sunscreen for your Stuff". It also works well on the sidewall of tires. It protects the rubber and doesn't leave that slick, greasy look and won't discolor the rubber like some of the tire treatments you buy in the chain stores.

jav wrote:

Is there a reason not to use plain old SPF 40?
The substances in many of these products are not extensively tested for their effects upon health. I would rather have a cracked dash than cracked DNA.
Cancer rates are rising.
.
--
.
Nothing is the way it is because that's the way it has to be.
.
1 HP = 745.69987158227022 Watts
To elaborate, even the stuff in your SHAMPOO hasn't been tested well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4071401.stm
Some far less used auto product is unlikely to be well tested. Every time you use some mystery product you are volunteering to be a lab rat.
.
Well tha gud ole boyz in tha bak seat says they aint neva gonna rub nona thet there stuff on em ta prevent sun burn! An if ya dont go around nekid wif out no shirts, all ya need ta do iz wear a cap ta keep your forhaid naice an sun free an your kneck turns raight dark laik it otta. An them sure did say they aint gonna shampoo tha dash wif nothin but maybe wipin off sum beer whut haz gotten akcidently spilled on it.
mcbrue cleanly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
I am sure it will help prevent skin cancer on your dash.

I have a 79 204d, w 3 cracks in dash. I bought a dash cover from Dashmat. Easy solution, works well
J.