The end of the slide?

Will Merc's products and reputation rise again?
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12389-1521256,00.html
DAS

Mercedes, the marque that lost its lustre, woos disaffected
customers
A good reputation a lot harder to 'regain' then it is to 'gain'. When people have a bad experience with a product they tend to tell all their friends, who tell all their friends, and so on. When all these people start driving BMWs, Lexus, etc, so will others. I personally wouldn't buy any MB made after 1991.
Paul

about
recently
When
33
Chrysler
disillusioned
us,
for
mistake
hate
his
recurring
says
taxi
2004.
corner
us,"

I find myself in accord with you basically, and think it is a real shame that quality got compromised, rather than market share. Who cares if they sell more cars? Ford can do that, and who wants one of those? Also, those of us who regard new cars as a bit of a waste of money, what are we going to buy when the cars are 10 years old? Accountants for Mercedes may think we don't matter, but by running around in old models with plenty of life left in them, we reassure people at the top of the car buying tree that their cars are built to last. I've just bought an Audi, and the quality doesn't feel quite there yet, but they are definitely in with a shout now that Mercedes seem to not be bothered about usable quality. Nev
A lot of Brits :-)
Ford Escourt/Focus has been Britain's No. 1 car for a decade or two.
DAS
"Nev Arthur" < snipped-for-privacy@btNOWinternet.com> wrote in
message news:d14c4q$hu5$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

I was just being snobby! ;-) Nev

Me neither, but that's just because I don't want to pay that much!
With regards to "regain" vs "gain" look at what happened to Audi with their sudden acceleration problem back in the '80s - their regain only came after years and years and people forgetting about their problem.

sports
November
1985,
Mercedes
has
several
changing
for
book.
the
once
VW,
Taxi
has
in
the
reliability
money
We

"sudden acceleration problem"? Can't slam the entire brand just because of some one idiotic problem, shoulda just disconnected the cruise control.
cp
I own a 2003, C240, and so far no problems. Great ride, & handling. I should say I also own a '73 450SL. This thing has over 200,000 miles & runs like a charm. Only thing not working is the A/C. I only use it now on nice sunny days( it hasn't seen rain in about 10 years), & it can sit for 3 months or more & starts up immediately. I doubt if my 2033 will give me the same use over so many years.

-------------------------------------------------- Quote: "The company has acknowledged that there have been reliability issues but we are sorting out the problem. We are investing a lot of money in product quality. The new cars are starting to speak for themselves. We want to make sure all our customers are happy." -------------------------------------------------- Heard this talk in the year 2000 when I sold my brandnew CL 500 due of windnoise and other problems some days after purchase.Was fed up with the "premium quality".The model was so sought after, I did not loose money on it. Still owning 4 Mercs., had the least problems with the W 210, a truly great car. The others, no better than an OPEL qualitywise. Just more fascinating, like the CLK 55, which made truly big problems in the first year too. Kept it just because my wife insisted to give it a try. AND finally I did not regret all the hassle we went through with it.
What to buy next ? Likely no MB.