W115 Fender Replacement

I am about to embark upon a project to replace a fender--something I've never done before, as I have always combined my projects to engine and running gear-related tasks. This is a right front fender. Is this something
that a non-body man should tackle?
--
Randall Brink
Author
"I am about to embark upon a project to replace a fender--something I've never done before, as I have always combined my projects to engine and running gear-related tasks. This is a right front fender. Is this something that a non-body man should tackle? "
I just had a fender replaced in a 1980 116 by an experienced body man who I know pretty well. He told me it was a real bitch to get off and I could see why. It's bolted on, but MB used a thick rubberized type of coating over everything. He eventually had to use a torch to melt the stuff so it would come apart and even then it was a bitch. Don't know what they used on 115, but if it has the same coating, it could be a real pain.
Another issue is what fender you're replacing it with. According to my guy, the aftermarket ones usually don't fit right, some don't even have the mounting holes drilled in them. We went with a MB OEM one, which cost a lot more, but in terms of time and trouble, was worth it.
Thankfully, I have the OEM W115 fender, but you're already scaring me into looking for a body man.
--
Randall Brink
Author

Mostly. It just unbolts. Then you have this f'ing nuclear glue to deal with. Heat helps.
Regarding the nuclear glue--what is it and where do you get it, as I assume it will be needed for the new fender?
--
Randall Brink
Author

I believe it to be a urethane; Poeple do relace them all the time, a body man has no more magic than you do, a good one will have done it before, that's all. I've heard of people using "Liquid Nails" brand urethane caulk with success.
Thanks very much. I have urethane calk in the boatshop, and will have it at the ready.
--
Randall Brink
Author
Randall Brink wrote:

i actually just went through the same sort of work on the first of two fenders for a W123 the other weekend, and frankly it wasn't nearly as complicated as i thought it would be. In my case, i was fortunate enough not to have any trouble with the PVC holding the panel (phew) but i didn't have much trouble with the fit of the new panel, nor did the whole process really take very long. admittedly, i had help from a freidn far more experienced in body work than myself, but i'd say it's certainly worth a try.
I have a person who may be able to help. and I'm in no hurry--two factors that always seem to make things go easier.
--
Randall Brink
Author
Randall Brink wrote:

no doubt. they certainly have for me. that and no money..... i discovered pretty fast that next time i try to buy a nice older car to make damn sure there's no rust on it.... but that said, helpful freidns make the process far mroe affordable, and entertaining at that.
They should bolt right off, inspect the inner wings when you take them off as they are rust prone

Will do, and thanks for the response!
--
Randall Brink
Author