W123 AC Question

I am trying to write a guide for AC for the W123, but am unknoeledgeable, but willing. :D Where there is a will, there is a way.
So, who wants to help. There is an AC inlet on the top and bottom, right?
What are each of these used for, I know one is high pressure low pressure, etc. Which one do you put coolant (R12) dye, and oil in? I will be using what you say to write my guide, so be detailed, and I'll publish it, and helpfully help some guys out.
Darrell
Do yourself a favor... go to auto parts store and get a R134a retrofit kit. All the instructions are there.

Do those really work? Most of the W123 cars have the Delco R4 compressor. While these work fine with R12, I wonder how well they work with R134a for a couple of reasons.
First, these compressors don't have an oil sump in them which isn't a problem as compressor oil is readily dissolved in R12. And second, not much oil is suspended in R134a so how do you keep the compressor lubricated? The earlier York compressors and the later Nippondenso compressors have real oil sumps. By the way, I've had several friends convert their W123 cars to R134a. Most of the compressors have since broken.
When you said broken, you meant A/C not working... not cold anymore? I don't think it is the compressor shot. You see... R134a freon is much smaller than R12 so they tends to leak out of the hoses that are strictly designed for R12. You do have to add oil to the system when you convert... They have a new oil that works with either R12 or R134a... I saw it myself.
On the other hand... my dad's 86 caddy with original everything A/C works great with R134a... hardly any lost pressure.
I suggest your friend to recharge the system with the cans available at auto parts store that has cleaner in it and sealer.
There is alot of things that may cause the system to stop working so it is important to find out what is the problem.

When I said broken, I mean that the mechanical parts of the compressor had broken from lack of lubrication. We are talking about broken pistons and bearings. Perhaps, the new oils prevent this.
Wow... er... Delco R4 should be darn cheap for replacement.in any case... shop hard for the one been rebuilt... these can handle the R134a.

Why do you think the rebuilt ones can handle R134a? The imput shaft seal is ceramic which is probably the best part of the compressor. But have you ever seen the insides of a Delco R4? Lots of zinc/aluminum. They are about as poorly built as any compressor made. I have been able to find new ones for Mercedes at around $200. IMHO most rebuilt R4 compressors are junk.
Oh... no I have never seen any compressor internally. I thought when people rebuild them... they update them with current parts that should be able to handle the R134a freon.
Perhaps the rotary compressors are better, but that means tons of retrofitting.

The Delco R4 compressor is a rotary compressor. Hence the "R" designation.
I will add that "how to" to the site as well.

When installing a new compressor i reccomend a nice heavy rubber mallet. Mine was a total pain in the ass to get in. I have a problem with my AC still... the controls are all electric... i cant find a single vacuum tube connected to the system yet my transmission will not shift unless the ac has been set to full blast.