96 Grand Am AC grinding noise

I own 96 grand am v6 3.1 i can hear grinding noise coming from AC compressor, and can see metal particles around a/c pulley. Is this something that is fixable without changing the compressor? Any help is appreciated

AR

Reply to
AR

It may or may not need a new compressor depending on the amount of damage done. If the compressor shaft (and shaft parts) are chewed up, then it will need a new compressor.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A6=2D?=

Is there anything i can do without evacuating the system... Can i bypass ac compressor with shorter belt, because i don't really need ac at this time of the year Thanks

Reply to
AR

Problem is, with a serpantine belt system this is not a real option. Look into if your AC system is sill holding pressure. You may only need to R&R the AC clutch.

Reply to
FBR

Check with a dealer (parts dept.) and find out if your model car ever came without a/c and what it would take to change yours over to non a/c. It could be as simple as a belt or as complicated as new pulleys, tensioners, and moving the a/c compressor out of the way of the new belt. It would be a lot simpler to fix it as it is.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A6=2D?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A

Does it stop grinding when the AC running? If it stops grinding when the AC is turned on you may be able to fix this with out changing the compressor. I had this same problem with my 94 Grand Am 3.1. The problem is that when the clutch is disengaged it is rubbing against the pully which continues to turn when the clutch is stopped. You need to back off the clutch. I just did this 2 weeks ago. You need a special clutch removal tool. But you do not remove the clutch just back it off a one or two turns. It is not easy to get to and I did have to remove the bolts for the AC compressor and slightly tilt the compressor to use the tool. But I did not have to evacuate the system to fix it. I got to the compressor by removing the front tire and all the plastic shrouding around the wheel well. It took a couple of hours but the only cost was the tool and some scraped knuckles. The tool was $15.00 on Ebay or $50.00 localy.

Reply to
Rick